What's new

Wal*Mart not getting new releases on release day! (1 Viewer)

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I've noticed the last few times I have gone to Wal*Mart, that they have not been getting new releases in the day they are released. One that comes to mind is Uptown Girls. I did not see that until a week ago, and that was released January the 6th! I also did not see Chitty Chitty Bang Bang until a few days after it's release. The same thing with The Santa Clause 2. Anyone else noticing this trend?

Ryan_Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
they most certainly HAVE them on release day, whether they are stocked promptly is anyone's guess.

Clay-F

Stunt Coordinator
Yep, I noticed it with PC games as well.

I've started giving them about 2 days to get and stock a title....

Then I can be pretty certain that I'm not about to waste a trip to the store....

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I work for Target and we had the same problem at our store with Uptown Girls.
PC Games are a whole different animal. We hardly EVER get games more than a day or two before the street date, where we usually have big street date titles for CD/DVD about the Thursday prior to release. I think it would be much easier if the manufacturers would go the same route and release only on Tuesdays. Most new release PC games we get them shipped directly from the manufacturer, usually arriving on the date they are released. We get out most FedEx/UPS/etc. late mornings, so the earliest we get them on the floor is noon, IF we even get them. You can blame the software companies for that one!

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
I have noticed that Best Buy tends to do this on a lot of catalog titles, for example, the Three Colors trilogy, National Lampoon's Vacation special edition, and The Following. Since I tend to be a little impatient, I will usually go buy them at Borders, even though they cost a little more. Usually a month or two later I will see several copies of these DVDs in Best Buy.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
A lot of catologue titles aren't shipped with the high profile releases so sometimes don't get to the stores until the weekend. Rarely do I even bother to look at a retail store for some titles until a week or so later.

With Wal Mart, it may just be laziness in not putting the titles on the shelf. I've been there Tuesdays, mid morning and they were only just starting to put the DVDs on the shelves.

Danny*B

Auditioning
i just went to wallmart last night and they had star trek 6 the undiscovered country out already. its not suppose to be released until tuesday. wallmart seems to be a hit/miss kind of think when it comes to dvds.

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit
I used to be an overnight stocker at Wal-Mart and we don't put out the dvd's, the the managers who come in at around 7:00 do and they have to take care of other stuff so the new release dvd's are usually not out on the shelf untill later in the morning. I'm not sure if the other stores are like that. That might be why you don't see them on the shelf when the store opens.

ZackR

Supporting Actor
I don't work at WalMart, but used to work nights elsewhere and would stop in at WalMart at 7 on Tuesday AM every week on my way home. There would always be a manager or 2 putting out the DVD's!! So, what you describe sounds EXACTLY right.

Just last Tuesday I asked a clerk for "Cabin Fever" and was told that they had not gotten any in. The same thing happened with "South Park Season Three" and "Family Guy Season One". There have been others as well that were not stocked by my Wal Mart on release day.

Brennan Hill

Stunt Coordinator
This is probably my first and hopefully last thread fart.

Good. I hope they don't get any customers either. Disgusting, evil company.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I shop at Wal*Mart only because I can walk there from my house at 7:00 am, because I don't have a car, and because there is no better place to buy DVD's from, unless you count Circuit City. Circuit City is okay, but their prices are sometimes higer. And when I say the DVD's are not on the shelves on release date, I'm not just saying they aren't put out until the afternoon. I'm saying they are not put out until several days later with some releases.

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor

Thank you. Glad to be in good company. I normally hate thread farters, but there a couple of cases where I just cannot resist, and Wal-Mart being mentioned is one of them. I hate Wal Mart more than I hate a man with the same name aa a certain type of plant...

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I can usually get new releases at walmart at midnight... though i sometimes have to come back to get a price difference refund once they mark stuff down based on other stores. Haven't had much experience with catalog titles, but i've never not been able to get anything at midnight... they're usually sitting on a pallet in boxes still, but they're accessable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks