Wal-Mart HDTV...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Josh Simpson, Jul 13, 2002.

1. Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson Supporting Actor

Went in Wal-Mart and saw a Phillips 43inch HDTV for $1600 and some odd dollars. It wasn't 16x9 obviously, but at least it's a start of HDTV for uh.....the "average" customer. (to keep me from saying that common term we have)

2. WilliamG

WilliamG Supporting Actor

A close friend got his Philips at Wal-Mart. Less than 6 mo.after that, he began having problems ... REAL problems. Called the Philips tech people, and they STILL haven't solved it. That was one month ago.[​IMG]
    Oh, and this was before I knew that he had bit the bullet there. I would have definitely told him that he may want to look elsewhere.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Wouldn't the Philips still have failed, though, had he purchased it at a dedicated home-theater dealership? I don't see how the store from which he purchased the set would have made a difference here.

4. WilliamG

WilliamG Supporting Actor

Probably ... I just haven't seen them at any other place.
    Plus, the ONLY sets the local Wal-Mart carries are Philips.

5. Matt Heebner

Matt Heebner Stunt Coordinator

I would wait a few weeks. Best Buy is supposed to start carrying some of the Mitsubishi lines in August. I know they will have some TV's in that price range and size....16:9 also.

Matt

6. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Jack,
    Some mfgs. make specific low-end models exclusively for sale at places like WalMart and these models aren't available elsewhere.

Matsushita's (Panasonic) entire Quasar line is almost exclusively sold in places like WalMart and Costco.

I of course don't know if this is the case with this particular Philips model sold at WalMart.