Wal-Mart DVDs Part 2

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chas_Michael, Oct 22, 2001.

1. Chas_Michael

Chas_Michael Second Unit

I purchased one of the Platinum DVDs:TV Classic Westerns 7 Episodes Platinum Corporaton P.O. Box 2798 La Crosse, WI 54602-2798 Made In Canada. Video quality is poor VHS. 2 Episodes of Death Valley Days, 1 Hour episode Wagon Train, 2-Bat Masterson and 2-Rifleman all for $4.44 Seems like MADACY changed their name.

2. Ruben Zamora

Ruben Zamora Stunt Coordinator

I'm starting to buy ALL my DVD's at Wal-Mart. They're collection is growing and they have lots of new releases. And most people dont think of Wal-Mart when it comes to DVD's so the DVD's are always in stock.

3. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

I've bought the majority of my DVDs from Wal-mart. [​IMG]

4. Bill McA

Bill McA Producer

5. Ruben Zamora

LOL i was about to say the same thing.
    ------------------
    Ruben Zamora
    Onkyo TX-575X
    Pioneer DV-333

6. Chas_Michael

Chas_Michael Second Unit

If you READ the title of this post Wal-Mart PART 2, In my previous thread I asked if anyone purchased the PLATINUM $4.44 DVDS at WALMART. I decided to purchase one of the $4.44 PLATINUM DVDs myself. OK! so that's what it has to do with Wal-Mart!

7. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

The only thing is that sometimes there might be better versions or alternate versions of a particular title out. For example, I bought Pitch Black at Wal*Mart, took it home and watched it. Then I happened to see in another store that the Pitch Black boxes there said "unrated edition" or something like that on the front. What I got from Wal*Mart didn't say that, and I was stuck with it.
    ------------------
    -Justin "JJR512" Rebbert
    [​IMG]
    Join the JJR512.com [email protected] Team and help cure what ails you. (Click here for more info.)
    Contact me: [email protected] | ICQ: 52675695 | Private Message

8. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

I have never had any luck buying DVD's at Wally Mart. Seems every one I have ever been in has a helter-skelter way of displaying them -- no price on them, no "new release section", basically, the drones just throw them up on the shelves and the unsuspecting customer is left to sort it all out. And once you find your choice, it isn't priced.
    Must be a regional thing. But strange because my work brings me into an 8 state region (the Northeast).
    The general impression I get when I venture into a WM DVD rack is that they just treat it as another stack of "product". Pure consumerism, which is sad. But typical of their marketing philosophy. Seems to have worked for them over the years.
    Glad some of you guys have WM stores nearby that give a damn.
    BOK

9. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

They give a damn so much that they are forcing studios to put out Pan and Scan product more and more. Common guys... you can do better. I used to be a manager at one of Wal Mart's Test Stores for DVD back in 1997. I had a great time with the product and they were enthusiastic with the results we had. I remember being SO excited the first time that they made it mandatory for ALL stores to carry it - I thought that WE (DVD early adopters) had won!!! Little did I know what that would mean down the line.
    Now with another retailer, I can tell you separation has given me clarity. It's scary how much power they wield. And if they use that to dent OAR, I can't support them with my money. I'd rather give it to my company, Best Buy, or Target, who support choices in their merchandising.
    But that's just me...
    Matt
    ------------------
    "And I say I'm dead, and I move"....

10. Mick Wright

Mick Wright Second Unit

They do some things that I can't stand, i.e. stock p&s, fascist censored versions, but their prices are great and the 24 hour store near me puts titles out right at midnight on release date (I work until 11pm on Monday [​IMG] ).
    [Edited last by Mick Wright on October 22, 2001 at 09:40 PM]

11. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Lately I've been getting a lot of my DVD's at Wal-Mart, I don't like to see Wal-Mart carry the P&S either but I think they are getting better.
    It seems mostly just the "Children oriented" movies are in P&S, and of course the "Mummy Returns" but at my local WM the fullscreen "Mummy Returns" rack is full and the Widescreen rack is always low.So maybe that's a good sign or they are stocking more P&S "MR" movies, but I would like to think not!!
    ------------------
    Sean
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"

12. Ruben Zamora

WHAT do you need prices FOR anyway. If you want the DVD your gonna get it. ANd they price match so who cares. I went to Get FOrrest Gump and the lady selling it me GAVE ME a Best Buy add and told me to go to the front for a refund.
    ------------------
    Ruben Zamora
    Onkyo TX-575X
    Pioneer DV-333

13. Bill McA

Bill McA Producer

14. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    quote: I purchased one of the Platinum DVDs:TV Classic Westerns 7 Episodes Platinum Corporaton P.O. Box 2798 La Crosse, WI 54602-2798 Made In Canada. Video quality is poor VHS. 2 Episodes of Death Valley Days, 1 Hour episode Wagon Train, 2-Bat Masterson and 2-Rifleman all for $4.44 Seems like MADACY changed their name.[/quote] [​IMG]
    a pt. 2 was needed for this. what was pt. 1. i bought.... the lucy show and the picture was too fuzzy?
    ------------------
    [Edited last by TonyD on October 22, 2001 at 11:54 PM]

15. Chas_Michael

Chas_Michael Second Unit

[Edited last by Chas_Michael on October 23, 2001 at 12:41 AM]
    [Edited last by Chas_Michael on October 23, 2001 at 12:47 AM]