Wal-Mart DVD rental operation is online - 1st month free

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Balcziak, Oct 23, 2002.

1. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

Wal-Mart DVD Rental Link
    The Wal-Mart DVD rental site is operational and they are offering a free 30 day trial.
    I found the site to be pretty disappointing, with odd category listings, a truly horrendous UI in many areas, and lots of titles showing a "very long wait" until they are available for rent. (If this is what their availability is like after a couple of days, this is a disaster in the making.)
    Still, it's kind of nice to see more players getting into the DVD rental game. Hopefully it drives prices down and improves the overall level of service.

2. Bill Balcziak

It's also worth noting that you incur two rentals if you want both discs from a two-disc DVD set. I wanted to rent Monty Python and the Holy Grail and was disappointed to see disc 1 and disc 2 are listed as separate DVD titles, which means that if you want both discs, you'll tie up 2/3 of your available rental allotment. Same thing with A Beautiful Mind, E.T., Harry Potter, etc., etc. [​IMG]

3. Mazinger_Z

Mazinger_Z Auditioning

This looks like a spinoff of NetFlix.

4. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    Actually it just looks bad. Just about ever new title has a "short" to "long" wait. I think if I ever wanted to try one of these services I would go with NetFlix. They seem to have this down pretty good and I have rarely heard anything negative about them.

Chris S.

5. Pete O

Pete O Auditioning

Speaking from experience with Netflix, I have subscribed to them now for over a year and a half and have had no problems at all. With the ever expanding client base they seem to be picking up, you rarely ever see "Long wait" on a title anymore and their selection is excellent. I had to increase my rental size from 3 at a time to 5 because my queue list was getting too damn big. And the scary thing is, Netflix did not cut down the amount of titles I was buying. It just enabled me to broaden my viewing habits and unfortunately keep me home a lot more. If you do the math, it costs 4.00 a rental at Blockbuster... I pay 32.00 a month from netflix and Im averaging 10 - 15 dvd's a month with no late fees. I think it works in our favor in the end.

6. Aaren

Aaren Auditioning

Netflix has been great. I've been using it for the past year and only once has a new release been listed as short wait, and it only took one extra day. It usually takes one or two days for them to receive a disk, and one or two days for me to get the new rental.

The only problem is that I never see the bonus disks because it would 'cost' me a rental. I'm not that interested in the bonus stuff anyway. I have the seldom advertised 'economy plan' that is only $15/month and only two dvd's out at a time. I usually rent at least 4 or 5 dvd's a month and sometimes up to 10 if I'm not that busy.

7. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

I'm one of those who used to be with NetFlix. Not bad at first. Actually for about a year or so. Throughout that time the price went up from $9.95 a month to $19.95 a month plus the service started to be massively slow. New titles were rarely in stock and you had to have a boatload of titles in your queue to have hope of renting one. Cancelled the NetFlix subscription. Now I rent from the local grocery store as they rent movies, including new releases, for $1 on Mondays and Thursdays.

8. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

But didn't it go from 9.95 to 19.95 and unlimited rentals? I remember paying only 15.95 for unlimited with 4 rentals even when everyone else was paying 19.95. Then they dropped it to 3 rentals but because some of us were there from the beginning we got to stay at 15.95 for 4. Then they put everyone at the same price but do new people still only get 3 rentals for 19.95? (I'm still getting 4).

9. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    new netflix people get 3 for 19.95.

i still get 4 also mike.

10. Angel Pagan

Angel Pagan Second Unit

11. David Hicks

David Hicks Stunt Coordinator

The problem with lengthy ship/return times for Netflix is a thing of the past. That was when they only had 1 distribution center. I believe they now have either 5 or 6. I get my discs in 48 hours every time. And, like another guy said, it really hasn't decreased my dvd purchasing. But, I now view things that I might not have otherwise bought (foreign films, light comedy's, certain mysteries that are only enjoyable once, etc...).

Great service, great site, no late fees, the largest catalog of discs anywhere, for $20/month. Hell, when I used to rent from blockbuster, I could spend $20 on one rental with late fee's....and never have watched the damn thing!!!

12. Sammy Sams

Sammy Sams Agent

My trial month with Netflix was super. Very quick turn around. When I started my actual subscription the turn around time has dropped. In addition, I recently sent back 3 movies for my wifes trial at the same time I sent back my subscription dvds and they immediately processed my wife's 3 trial dvds and still have not processed the other one. I called them and informed them I would dump the service if they continued to downgrade me. They gave me some song and dance about not being able to control the mail. This is extremely coincidental that there would be a dramatic difference for processing times for my trial dvds and the start of my subscription service and for subsequent dvds sent back vs. my wife's trial dvds sent at the same time. Smells like downgrade to me. When you call them they essentially give you the finger. It seems that they are uninterested in my business. I will dump them then. thanks

13. Piers C

Piers C Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone got DVDs yet from WalMart? What is the shipping time?

-thanks

14. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

My return lables say Houston, TX, but thats just because they opened a new distribution center in Houston (and a bunch of other locations).

15. Bill Balcziak

Wal-Mart's DVD rental operation is a joke. I have seven titles in my future rental queue. When I originally selected them, all had a "now" or a "short wait" status. Today, a day later, every single title shows "very long wait."
    When I check other titles at random, the story is the same--virtually every desirable title has a "long wait" (or worse) attached to it, meaning the following guidelines are in effect:
    Now = available for shipping
    Short wait = should ship within 14 days
    Long wait = should ship within 30 days
    Very long wait = longer than 30 days
    Who in the world is going to subscribe to a rental service that's this cleaned out a few days after starting up? Sorry, Wal-Mart, but 1 copy of Insomnia probably isn't enough to satisfy demand. [​IMG]
    At least they did one thing right--cancelling your account is easy.

16. David Hicks

David Hicks Stunt Coordinator

Well, I'm not so disappointed that I couldn't register...entered all of my info and sat there for 5 minutes until it timed out. Then, no option to try again without completely starting over. No thanks. I'll stick with Netflix, thank you very much.

17. Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris Screenwriter

18. Bill Geiger

Bill Geiger Second Unit

It is pretty sad when Orange County and Not Another Teen movie are on the "short wait" list. They have been out how long and Walmart has how many copies???? Sounds like a waste of time to bother with them.

19. Bill Balcziak

I cancelled my trial membership today after 30 days of futility. I managed to receive exactly three DVDs during the month--everything else was in a perpetual "out-of-stock" state.
    I can't imagine how Wal-Mart will make this service work with their laughable inventory of DVDs. [​IMG]