Wal-Mart "Die Another Day" packaging

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ron Reda, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Is anybody else out there less than thrilled with Wal-Mart's packaging (or lack thereof) for "Die Another Day"? I picked this up today and noticed that someone must have removed the plastic on the outside of the slipcase. So, while the DVD case inside the slipcase is sealed, the actual slipcase itself has endured many a nick and scratch due to excessive handling. Not only that, but someone genius slapped a white Wal-Mart sticker on the outside of it as well and it doesn't look like it'll be removed too easily.

Also, not to sound too harsh, but MGM also could have done a little bit better job on making the widescreen version's box art differ more from the fullscreen version's art...I almost walked off with the fullscreen version before I realized that I picked up thee wrong one! [​IMG]

2. Matt Naglieri

Matt Naglieri Second Unit

That is the way it was made by MGM. Windtalkers was the same way.

It is extremely disappointing though.

3. Luis Esp

Luis Esp Supporting Actor

Preach on brotha man! I tried removing the white sticker, but ended up just peeling off the printed label. I now have on the slip case the film left over from their price tag and removing it would tear the cover.

Way to go Wally mart.

4. Chuck Stephens

Chuck Stephens Stunt Coordinator

Best Buy did the same thing. I had to VERY carefully peel off the price tag.

5. Matt Naglieri

Matt Naglieri Second Unit

It's not the stores fault. This is the way the dvd was supplied to them.

Blame should be pointed at the manufacturer

6. ChrisJefferys

ChrisJefferys Stunt Coordinator

Helpful hint: try putting a bit of lighter fluid on top of the sticker and let it soak for a couple minutes. That should make it much easier to remove the label without damaging the cardboard slipcase. Any remaining sticker residue can be removed by lightly rubbing it with a cloth with a bit of lighter fluid on it.

7. Jason Kleeberg

Nail polish remover also works.

8. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

I believe the new Bug's Life CD is this way as well. I picked one up at Best Buy and thought someone opened it until I saw them all like that. Bad idea.

9. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    I tried removing the stickers from new A Bug's Life before I bought it...no prob from the real shiny surface. But...I noticed some DVD's I bought at WM weren't wrapped in plastic, but they were at another store, and were plastered in stickers too, stickers unremovable without ruining the cover. I suspected they skipped the shrinkwrap step to get them out faster...I dunno, but a bad idea whyever. If they want to skip a step, leave off the useless "security" stickers, and leave on the shrinkwrap.

10. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

Ron, that was the exact issue I had today!!! I had to search hard for the widescreen version, I didn't even know there was going to be a fullscreen version.

First copy I picked up that looked half decent had the sticker on so I peeled it off, they came off smooth, but a TINY nick on the silver stripe at the top came off. So I put it back and searched for a copy with the sticker BELOW the silver strip. Found 1, but the box was mangled [​IMG] Then I searched more and found one without a sticker and in perfect shape! Woohoo I glead. I'm sure if others would have watched me they would have though I was crazy!

11. Jason Hennigan

Jason Hennigan Stunt Coordinator

Jason Hennigan
    Some rocket scientist @ MGM figured out that if you shrink-wrap just the DVD, and not the included slipcase, you save $0.0000000000001 per DVD made.

[​IMG]

12. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

The reason the slipcase is not shrinkwrapped for...

>Die Another Day
    >Windtalkers
    >Beauty and The Beast(1992/2002)

is because these have gatefold covers.

The covers are meant to be opened in store by the consumer. For Die Another Day, you get some promotional photos printed inside along with a critic quote. For Windtalkers and Beauty and The Beast(1992/2002), the majority of the bonus features are listed inside since the back is space limited.

13. Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar Supporting Actor

14. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    OK, but there's still the titles at WM that were shrinkwrapped elsewhere.

One of these days, somebody with an evil mind, certainly not me [​IMG], will remove one of these unwrapped slip-covers and slip it over some terrible movie. Could even be some cheap shlock they bought to do a switcheroo with a return. So make sure the cover is covering the right DVD...

15. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Well, proceeding very carefully, I was able to slowly peel the sticker off last night without any problems. However, I'm thinking that it's only because the sticker was recently applied. It would probably have made a mess if I bought it after the adhesive had been on there for a week.

Either way, bad call on both MGM and Wally World's part!