What's new

Waking Life (1 Viewer)

Jeff Hammett

Auditioning
Does anyone have any information on when Richard Linklater's Waking Life will be released on dvd?

Thanks, Jeff

Jodee

Screenwriter
I hope it's soon as I unfortunately missed this during its short theatrical run.

I read on another forum that Linklater's other film "Tape" is coming out in April or May, so I would think "Waking Life" would be around then. (They opened up almost concurrently here.)

Tony Aguila

Stunt Coordinator
Today (2/27/02) Amazon just put this up for pre-order, street date 5/7/02. None of the other sites that I buy DVDs from have announced it, though.

Matt_Wizall

Agent
I thought this was a cool little flick. I saw it at a little theater down the street on Friday. Looks like some decent specs. That commentary is a must have, I'd say.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Just saw it last night. Very nice transfer. Gorgeous colors, detail. A bit of mosquito noise here and there, but very satisying on a 92 inch screen.

The audio is reserved and mastered at a fairly low level - had to crank it a bit. Still there was a nice stereo spread, but not extremely dynamic.

Didn't listen to the commentary tracks, but there's an EPK, and other neat stuff, including a fairly lengthy interview with the art director showing how the entire movie was shot on miniDV cameras, edited on Apple's Final Cut Pro, and then painted by hand using his proprietary software all on Macs (I read somewhere he calls it "RotoShop"). He walks you through the process and actually paints a bit and shows you the progress.

Beautiful movie and I enjoyed it tremendously.

Felix

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Got it, and the DVD is even better than I thought it'd be! Gorgeous transfer and excellent sound.

The rather nondescript cover belies a great special edition. Both commentary tracks are excellent, and the "text commentary" is also nice if you're not familiar with some of the concepts (nothing particularly in-depth, but it will mention sources if you want to pursue an idea further). The "deleted scenes" is an absolute joy (just hit "play all" and kick back). All the other features are interesting - no fluffy HBO featurette stuff here.

The only thing I didn't like was that Fox (inexplicably) included a trailer for a move called "The Bangers" or something in the "Waking Life Studio" section. It has absolutely nothing to do with "Waking Life" (except, I presume, as another Fox production) and looks positively dreadful.

Watched it last night. Interesting film. Good thing I took some philosophy classes in college. Hard to talk about what it was about with out giving too much away. Heavy dialogue film with a very surreal look and feel. A lot of explaining about our existence in life.

As far as the DVD is concered all I can say is wow !

Incredible picture. My t.v. is a Philips 34" HD wide screen

and my DVD player is a JVC progressive scan. The audio is okay. Since it is mostly dialogue, there wasn't a lot of surround sound.

I would recommend renting first, unless you were a philosphy major and minored in existentialism.

Tim Gerdes

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Gerdes
I am a big fan of Richard Linklater's but I missed this one in the theater. I bought the DVD sight unseen and was very happy with the purchase.

I loved the film, and agree that this is a beautiful transfer. The special edition content particularly struck me, as it was clear that it is becoming quite easy (from a technical perspective) to use DV cameras and Macintosh computers to shoot, animate and edit a film.

Watching the film reminded me a lot of Slacker. So much so that I've go to ask, does anyone know when that masterpiece will arrive on DVD, or for that matter who owns the home video rights?

Ike

Screenwriter
I rented it, and watched the first 40 minutes, then the DVD locked up on me and wouldn't work, no matter what! After that 40 minutes, I know I have to buy this. Fantastic, and the transfer (what I saw of it) looked beautiful, one of the best I've seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks