What's new

Wake up Lions Gate! ULTRAVIOLET & BASIC INSTINCT 2 unrated only on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor
What a bone-headed way to launch their first waves of Blu-Ray titles.

Your average consumer who has a choice between unrated versions of both those new titles are not being given great incentive to spring for Blu-Ray.

Blu-ray=better picture and sound quality than DVD
Blu-ray= features inferior censored cuts of the film than DVD

Something seem wrong here? ;-)

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
While I would ideally like the Blu-ray disc to include both cuts of a film where appropriate, I feel that the original theatrical version should always take precedence. I, for one, am glad that I am able to own on Blu-ray the same version of Ultraviolet that I saw in theaters. I would, of course, like to have the unrated version as well, but it's not a deal-breaker for me.

I was actually quite happy to see that Ultraviolet and Saw are being presented on Blu-ray in their oringal theatrical versions.

It's too bad the same is not true for Crash.

To each his own, of course.

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor
Oh, I'm sure there will Jack. Lion's Gate is pretty bad when it comes to double dipping.

In the case of something like CRASH, I agree the theatrical version should be the primary cut, as it was director approved and is the one that won the Oscar. The expanded cut just being a cash-in.

In the case of things like SAW, ULTRAVIOLET or BASIC INSTINCT 2 where the cuts were made purely to meet a certain rating, then I prefer the unrated cut.

AlexBC

Second Unit
Except that Ultraviolet and Basic Instinct 2 are both Sony titles, not Lionsgate.

But yeah, I'd appreciate much more if they were the uncut version. In this specific situation, I don't care much about the T.C. because that's not how these movies were supposed to be anyway.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Anyone know what the PQ is like on these? Has Sony started to improve yet?

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Yes, T.C.s are better. The theatrical cut of Kingdom of Heaven was far better than the Ridley Scott Director's cut. :D

Regards

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Michael, I could not agree more.

I found both versions boring as heck, but at least the theatrical version was boring for only two hours and fifteen minutes. The director's cut was boring for over three hours!

If I had to watch it again, I would definitely pick the theatrical version.

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor

Ah, where's that icon of the smiley face banging his head against the wall when you need it!

I looked at these at the store, too. No idea how I snafu'd the studio...Can someone change the thread heading to Sony?

There are no HD DVDs or Blu-Ray discs that feature seemless branching yet. The 16 Blocks DVD has an alternate ending that you can branch into the feature, but its a combo HD DVD/DVD and that feature is only on the DVD side.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Don't forget how wonderful that theatrical cut of Blade Runner is. Great voice over narration by Harrison Ford. The way it should be ... :D

Regards

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink

I'm afraid I haven't seen that one. I watched the director's cut, didn't enjoy it in the least, and haven't thought about revisiting it since.

Of course, I hope the original theatrical version is released on HD-DVD or Blu-ray for posterity, alongside Scott's preferred cut. I understand that this is to be the case for an upcoming DVD release for the film, which makes me happy for its fans.

For what it's worth, I though Dick's novel ("Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?") was excellent. Apples to oranges, maybe, but it was far better than the film, in my opinion.

David (C)

Stunt Coordinator
I know this is true for Basic Instinct 2, but; how do you know this to be the same for Ultraviolet?

AlexBC

Second Unit
David,

I believe it's pretty much disclosed information that the director didn't get to cut the movie the way he wanted to. Actually, from has been said (I don't remember the source right now, but I've seen it quoted in many places) there's approximately 30 minutes of missing footage, so not even the unrated DVD that's out now, is the intended version by the director.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Just saw that the "theatrical" version of Basic Instinct 2 on DVD is only in Foolscreen, so this is the first Blu-Ray exclusive movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation483
Recent bookmarks