Waiting for price drops

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Chris Bardon, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Anyone else holding out on a bunch of games for price drops? I know that I still haven't picked up Mario Kart and Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow, and at this point will probably wait until they're down to the $30 platinum price (and then get a used copy for $24). With the huge glut of games coming out this fall, there'll probably be a few more games that end up getting put off until the inevitable drop.

Anyone heard anything about when additions to the discount lines will happen? I'm betting on at least one more round of cheap games before Christmas.

2. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

I'm waiting on a few games to drop. SC: Pandora Tomorrow being one. Ninja Gaiden. I'll wait for those titles to become platinum hits ($20). Too many games are on preorder for nearly full price. So now I have to be picky.

I'm currently just waiting for Burnout 3 to have some kind of sale somewhere. Just bring it down to $40. CC or BB has to have a deal one of these weeks right? What happened to their $10 giftcards with games?

3. Jason Borchers

Jason Borchers Second Unit

4. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

I've been waiting for the most part. Some I say screw it when it's a title I'm really looking forward to. But inevitably the price drains within a week after my purchase. [​IMG] One consideration with this strategy, however, is Live enabled titles. If you wait too long it becomes more difficult to find games online as people have moved to other titles. The real popular games will maintain a core audience but still relatively few compared to at launch.

5. Duane Robinson

Duane Robinson Second Unit

I don't buy games at full price anymore. Maybe I'm getting out of gaming as much as I used to. Or maybe it's because I think that most of the games being released are either rushed, unfinished product or just straight up crap but I haven't been feeling like I've been getting my $50 worth from the majority of games I bought. The last 2 games I bought full price was the GTA: Double Pack and Rallisport Challenge 2. GTA was a no brainer since I was getting 2 long games I'd never played for the price of one. RS2 I only bought because I traded in some crap games I wasn't even touching.

I still play those 3 games so I don't feel the need to rush out and buy the newest games. Plus with the backlog of dvds on my wishlist and to watch list I don't really feel the need to even spend $20 on a game I might play for a week before I get bored with it when I could invest that money into increasing my dvd collection by one more dvd that I will be watching for years. Right now I've been using more of my entertainment dollars to buying films and TV series that I know will be a sensible investment instead of blowing it on Franchise Product # 23 that will get old and probably never be touched again by me after a few days.

6. Jeff_Standley

Jeff_Standley Supporting Actor

eBay, I get all my games that I dont want to pay full price for here. Just recently picked up True Crime again for 14$ shipped.

7. Stephen J*

Stephen J* Stunt Coordinator

I'm coming to the realization that a game can wait. Of course, I'll settle for a $20 break on something new, but patience will pay off eventually.

8. Ken Chui

Ken Chui Supporting Actor

After the recent Circuit City and TRU sales, I find it very difficult to pay anywhere near full retail for any current or upcoming title. There are some exceptions to the rule (MK: Deception Premium Pack, Gran Turismo 4 and HALO 2, for me anyway), but most everything else can wait. All games will be discounted eventually; it's just a matter of when.

9. Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer Screenwriter

I usually wait n drops myself. there are a few games that I'll pay full price for, but those are true "experiences." Not only great game, but also the ones that have that something extra that takes them above simply being games and makes them something truly memorable. Zelda, Metroid Prime, and the like I have and will continue to pay $50 for, but most others can wait until they hit $30 or $20.

10. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

I've been waiting for price drops when purchasing games for quite a while now. I actually have a rule not to buy any game for more than $30.00, with few exceptions (Halo 2, Doom III, and Half Life 2 come to mind). The reason I am willing to wait longer is because I have a pretty big stack of games to play through and wouldn't get to the newly purchased games (at full price) for a while anyway. For example, in the summer of 2003 I paid full price for KOTOR but hadn't gotten chance to play it until a few weeks ago (GREAT game by the way!). It was recently on sale at Best Buy for $15.00. Quite frankly, I should have been more patient and waited to buy it until I actually had time to do so. Plus, there's something cool about getting games on the cheap that I really like. I was able to pick up "XIII" (PC) and "Neverwinter Nights" (PC) for $7.00 each - substantially less than what their retail price was at the time.

By the way, if you're into budget gaming, make a habit of checking out www.dealrush.com. They do a very good job of posting great deals on games, price drops, online coupons, etc.

11. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

I'm holding out on a PS2 until $99

12. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Precisely the same for me.

13. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

I find games are dropping price very fast, as many games struggle after the initial surge like Riddick.

14. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    As long as they're games for established consoles, I know it'll be the same great game in 2004 as it was in 2002.