1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Waiting For Guffman. We Do Not Understand Why this Movie was Well Regarded.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChrisA, Sep 6, 2001.

1. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Agreed that Best In Show was better (as was Spinal Tap) but W.F.G. was still quite a trip for me personally. That love-duet had me in TEARS (laughing)!!!
    -dave [​IMG]

2. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Kevin Ray

3. Aaron Croft

Aaron Croft Stunt Coordinator

I thought WFG was terribly unfunny as well. I bought it because of recomendations, and having enjoyed other "mockumentary" style movies.
    I just didn't "get it". Bored me to tears, and I turned it off after about 40 minutes as well [​IMG]
    Of course, Office Space on the other hand is one of my favorite comedies, dare I say movies, of all time!

4. AndyW

AndyW Agent

I love this movie.

5. Bob Turnbull

Bob Turnbull Supporting Actor

One of the most interesting aspects of this movie (as well as Spinal Tap and Best In Show) is the fact that it is largely improvised. The framework of the movie and the situations are worked out beforehand, but much of the dialogue is spontaneous (this is why you find so many deleted scenes on these discs).
    That's not to say you should find it any funnier simply because of this, but I find I appreciate the humour that much more.

6. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    Humor (i.e. comedy movies) is truly a matter of personal taste, as an individual's sense of humor is more likely to be unique than, say, his/her sense of fear for the elements of a horror movie. That said, I find it difficult to take Chris' criticism seriously since he didn't even finish watching the movie! How can one make a value judgement about a film having seen only half of it? Had he "struggled" through the entire running time and had similar comments, I'd be more apt to respect his views.

7. Paul D G

Paul D G Screenwriter

I thought Guffman was a riot - but then again I worked with theatre in high school (oh, when our actress diva was told she had to audition like everyone else instead of automatically getting cast as the lead as ususal...).

Took the wife to see Best in Show when it first came out ("It's a 'documentary' about dog shows... Don't look at me like that, trust me.") she was laughing so hard she had tears down her face. Showed her Guffman and she didn't laugh once.

Fred Willard kills me in everything I see him in. I wish Fernwood 2nite would come out on DVD.

-paul

8. JamieD

JamieD Supporting Actor

Eh, I have to agree with those here who say comedy is completely subjective. I strongly disliked a number of "successful" comedies which I thought I would enjoy. I disliked about 99% of Meet the Parents to name one which has come up in this thread. However, there are many movies which I do find incredibly funny. Office Space is one... wonder whatever happened to that SE?

9. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Cinematographer
    Supporter

I also think that, especially in the case of Mocumentaries, the level of enjoyment depends greatly on the level of experience the viewer has with the subject matter. Case in point, my wife and I are actors, so we both think that GUFFMAN is one of the funniest films ever made. However, my wife has no experience with Metal, so she doesn't find SPINAL TAP funny in the least. One thing that must be said about the "Guest Troupe" films, is that no matter what the topic, the humor is dead-on with regard to that specific topic. I love them all and can't wait for A MIGHTY WIND.

10. Jamie Cole

Jamie Cole Stunt Coordinator

I'm tellin' ya... "Guffman" is one of a precious few "default" films in my house. When we can't think of anything else to watch, we pop it in. It's good enough that we can watch it anytime, laugh hysterically (often ending up in tears), and find something new every time.

And for those who maybe haven't had the chance to explore the DVD, there's a deleted number from "Red, White and Blaine" that's as funny as anything in the movie (saying alot, I know). The "River" number is beyond hysterical.

11. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Cinematographer
    Supporter

Jamie, I agree.

"Hush child, hush..."

I giggle just thinking about it. Too bad there wasn't a soundtrack album released.

12. Jefferson

Jefferson Supporting Actor

I was surprised I hadn't posted in this thread a year or more ago.

I love the movie too, but...it does not surprise me that others don't "get it".

I don't know that I would either, except I've done

a lot of community theater in my day.

Tons of insider stuff in this piece.

Humor is a highly subjective thing. What makes me laugh, might offend you.

Not surprising.

To me it is a given circumstance.

We are all too different to be in love with every genre,

or film within it...THANK GOODNESS!

13. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

This is slightly off topic, but this movie is also yet another example of why the MPAA rating system is ludicrous. This movie is rated R. Yes, rated R. Why? Because of one brief (and funny) scene where an old guy auditions for the musical by doing a brief scene from Raging Bull (complete with assorted F words). Other than that one scene, the movie is practically G-rated. What a joke. Only in America would the same movie classification contain both Waiting for Guffman and Boogie Nights.

14. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

I'll have to log a vote for WHAT THE F?!!?!?! I didn't like it, didn't get it, whatever you want to call it...pretty sad movie to say the least and I did watch the ENTIRE movie(Even though, in this case, I don't think it mattered). I guess I kept waiting for it to be funny.[​IMG] Now Spinal Tap is another story all together. Although I don't classify this movie as a top ten in comedy I thought it was rather amusing.
    So ChrisA, there is nothing wrong with your laugh-o-meter. It is just the same model I have.
    For those of you who liked the movie...Great.[​IMG]

15. Philip Verdieck

Philip Verdieck Supporting Actor

Philip Verdieck

16. Jefferson

Jefferson Supporting Actor

I think Brian Kidd said it well, [​IMG]
    it is mocking a subject aimed at a very select audience.
    I hated BEST IN SHOW, so...there you go.
    When have we ever agreed about movies around here?
    This is just par for the course, eh?

17. Cynthia

Cynthia Stunt Coordinator

Why hasn't anyone brought up Drop Dead Gorgeous?! I love it just as much as Guest's films.

18. Joel Vardy

Joel Vardy Supporting Actor

19. Eric T

Eric T Second Unit

I really like Guffman and Tap, but I didn't quite connect with Best in Show. I'll have to watch it again one of these days. I do agree with an earlier poster who said that they get better with repeated viewings. There are so many subtle things going on that are easy to miss - kind of like The Simpsons [​IMG]
    Oh, and I also loved the part where the trumpet player has to do double-duty on the tympani [​IMG]