Waiting For Guffman. We Do Not Understand Why this Movie was Well Regarded.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChrisA, Sep 6, 2001.

1. ChrisA

ChrisA Second Unit

Hi,
    I just wanted to say that I had a few people over and put in the "Waiting for Guffman" DVD. I looked forward to seeing this only because of the good reviews on the Internet. To make it short, all 4 of us just looked at each other and unanimously wanted to turn off the movie after 40 minutes. We only has a half of a snicker and the rest was just flat faced or annoyed. We didn't find this movie entertaining and were simply extremely bored after 40 minutes. Can someone please explain how they enjoyed this movie, or was the first half of the movie any different than the last half? To me it reminded me of State and Main Meets Best in Show, excepth that it was worse than either. Best in Show was decent IMO (3 stars), State an Main was (two stars), and Waiting for Guffman got shut off after 40 minutes... just my opinion of course. I really liked Sweet November (of course I knew nothing about Sweet November, so nobody spoiled it for me). I took a little slack for really enjoying Sweet November (I notice Sweet November is not often liked by Keannu Reave haters. I tend to think that guys who hate Keannu Reaves must be jealous. I think he did a great job acting).
    OTOH, We watched Memento last night... WOW! I've been thinking about it all day. What a movie!
    [Edited last by ChrisA on September 06, 2001 at 03:19 PM]

2. Jaxon's Dad

Jaxon's Dad Supporting Actor

Doug
    Having been involved in several "Shows" and dealing with other performers, Guffman was a thoroughly cathartic experience. Every town thinks that their players are the most talented anywhere and the general populace is of the opinion that "those kids could make it on Broadway or Hollywood" or what have you. To see how delusional these people were was absolutely hillarious. I'm thinking to myself, "We were probably delusional but we were never that bad!" The funny thing is that we were probably worse!
    So that's why I thoroughly loved it.
    Regards,
    D
    ------------------
    ~Marriage is great but she keeps leaving the toilet seat down...~
    [Edited last by Doug Irving on September 06, 2001 at 03:19 PM]

3. Andy Kellman

Andy Kellman Extra

Looks like we have someone who is merely bitter for missing out on the stool boom.

4. ChrisA

ChrisA Second Unit

This is probably the same reason I/We didn't find Office Space very funny. Unless you work in that environment, you probably don't relate to the jokes or humor very well. Instead of finding Guffman humorous for the reasons you state, we were simply annoyed and bored. We did not find 'Guffman' himself funny at all, in fact, just irritated. Can't judge the movie after 40 minutes though becuase we had to shut it off. We figured it was just more of the same and would be fairly predictable. If the humor wasn't working then, it wouldn't work in the last half. I'm not trying to put this movie down, just trying to see why it was so well regarded in terms of the Amazon Ranking and places like this forum. I find comedies very hit/miss these days. Meet the Parents left us flat/annoyed most of the time. Obviously there were a few funny moments, but I was actually getting annoyed at DeNiro, Affleck, and the entire cast. Is it me or are good comedies hard to come by these days?
    Maybe I shoulkd put it back on and check out the 'Stool Boom'.
    ------------------
    Pictures: The Worm Hole Theater featuring the Black Hole Subs and Death Star Platform
    [Edited last by ChrisA on September 06, 2001 at 03:34 PM]

5. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

I can't see how anyone couldn't have laughed at the song "Stool Boom", but that may have been in the second half of the movie.
    I also thought one of the funniest scenes was in the coda, the shop that sold "Remains of the Day" lunch boxes and "My Dinner with Andre" action figures. I want an Anthony Michael Hall bobble-head doll!
    I thik this type of humor is not for everyone. I raved to my my mother and sister about "Best in Show". My mother loved it, but my sister said she thought it was boring and not funny.
    Perhaps the irony is lost on some? You're not supposed to be laughing with those folks, you're laughing at them! [​IMG]

6. Andy Kellman

Andy Kellman Extra

7. soop.spoon

soop.spoon Supporting Actor

so... how many minutes was it before you shut it off?
    [​IMG]

8. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

quote:
    We did not find 'Guffman' himself funny at all
    [/quote]
    I didn't find Guffman himself funny, either--being that he never showed up! [​IMG]
    Now I have never been in a play and have never worked in a corporate office environment, but I still found both "Waiting for Guffman" and "Office Space" wickedly funny.
    I do admit to preferring "Best in Show" over "Guffman" because Fred Willard just steals the second half of that film. Also as a cat lover, I can relate to people obsessed with their pets.
    [Edited last by Jodee on September 06, 2001 at 03:35 PM]

9. ChrisA

ChrisA Second Unit

40 minutes...
    quote: Perhaps the irony is lost on some? You're not supposed to be laughing with those folks, you're laughing at them![/quote]
    I didn't find them funny enough to laugh at. I didn't find the irony humorous. That is not to say that it isn't funny, it just might not be funny to me. I'll try to throw it in and watch the second half when I get a chance. I'll try not to rush off to sell it on EBAY. Mint Condition, DVD, only viewed 1/2 of it [​IMG]
    [Edited last by ChrisA on September 06, 2001 at 03:42 PM]

10. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

Is it me, or does this thread belong in Movies?
    Anyway, I think I know what Corky St. Clair might have to say about the negative comments towards WFG:

11. BarryR

BarryR Supporting Actor

BARRY RIVADUE
    Talk about differing tastes; I think I've seen this film 100 times already! Certainly humor is very subjective, but if you catch GUFFMAN's wavelength it's beyond hilarious, viewing after viewing. So many brilliant touches, and the cast was incredible. The film knows so well the dubious side of show biz, the cliches of amateur shows, yet it also celebrates the camraderie of group effort when it all pulls together. As a spoof of a community theatre show, "Red, White and Blane" isn't even half bad, considering, though it's the skill of the cast that makes the assumed ineptitude so hilarious.
    It deserves all the positive feedback it's gotten, and then some.
    [Edited last by BarryR on September 06, 2001 at 03:51 PM]

12. Jaxon's Dad

Jaxon's Dad Supporting Actor

Doug
    Matt,
    That is my wife's favorite line out of Guffman tied with Corky yelling into the phone how he hates Matt Keesler's ASS FACE!!! LOL!
    Just to prove that comedy tends to be subjective, my wife found the film annoying overall, those two scenes notwithstanding. She might feel different after a second or third viewing, but probably not.
    Regards,
    D
    ------------------
    ~Marriage is great but she keeps leaving the toilet seat down...~

13. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

I can understand that Guffman might seem to be an acquired taste, but not liking Office Space or Meet The Parents is comedy heresy in my book.

14. chris c

chris c Stunt Coordinator

What are you looking for here? Validation from others who thought it wasn't funny? I, for one, loved it and thus, can offer none.

15. David Tallen

David Tallen Stunt Coordinator

ChrisA, do would you mind telling us the age of the folks who attemped watching Guffman? It occurs to me that it might be an "age" thing, at least partially.
    ------------------
    "If you set aside Three Mile Island and Chernobyl, the safety record of nuclear is really very good." Paul O'Neill, Treasury Secretary.

16. Patrick Wilmes

Patrick Wilmes Stunt Coordinator

I agree with Mark,Thinking Office Space and Meet The Parents was not funny is almost shocking.Chris I would LOVE to hear what comedies you do find funny.I respect your opinion but I am just trying to get a feel for what kind of sense of humor you have.Please help us understand. [​IMG]

17. ChrisA

ChrisA Second Unit

Everbody was mid-thirties.
    As far as the last comedy I thought was actually funny, I'd have to go down and look at my comedy section of DVDs for a reminder [​IMG]

18. John_Lee

John_Lee Supporting Actor

The linchpin to finding movies such as Guffman, Spinal Tap, etc., enduringly funny, is to view the characters as taking the entire matter seriously. For the most part, lines are not delivered with the intention of being funny. They are funny because they are earnestly delivered. I laugh every time I think of the music director's slow burning stare as Corky utterly effs-up the annual production that has been his for so long. I laugh every time I think of Fred Willard's character smugly, knowingly, asking Corky if he'd like him to 'strike' the stool [just to show how he knows the stage lingo]. Alternatively, particularly in the case of Levy's character, the humor in his attempts at humor is how badly he fails [that awful Johnny Carson imitation].
    As said above, we laugh at these characters because they are so G-D earnest in their efforts. You get the sense that Willard believes he is ready for Broadway, that Levy believes that people admire him for his ability to inject humor in any situation, that the music director believes that this production is sufficiently important to merit leveling his eternal hatred on Corky for stealing it from under him.

19. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

I thought Sweet November was pretty hilarious and laughed many times when I saw it, but I don't think that was supposed to be the case.
    There's a link in my sig that will take you to my Waiting for Guffman review if you care to read it. Don't know that it'll help you, though. You did probably skip the best part of the film, which is the actual performance of the play. Then again, if you didn't find everything before it funny, you probably won't be all that amused by that section either.
    What makes some people laugh and what aggravates others is almost impossible to define. The three comedies you didn't like I found funny. Different tastes, I suppose.
    ------------------
    Read my reviews at www.dvdmon.com
    Most recent reviews: WarGames, Open Your Eyes, Waiting for Guffman, Maelstrom, Diary of a Chambermaid: The Criterion Collection
    Most recent column: Panning P&S

20. Eric Wickitt

Eric Wickitt Agent

Chris, you knew the movie wasn't REALLY a documentary right?
    [​IMG]
    I bet you hated Bottle Rocket and Rushmore too. Que sera, you're definitely entitled to an opinion...
    A word of advice, whatever you do, DON'T have your friends over for a "BEST IN SHOW" screening!!