1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Waiting for Guffman (1996)- coming from WAC

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by atfree, Aug 15, 2017.

1. atfree

atfree Producer

Alex
    WAITING FOR GUFFMAN (1996)
    NEW 2017 1080p HD REMASTER
    Run Time 84:00
    Subtitles English SDH
    DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 Stereo - English
    16 X 9 WIDESCREEN, ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO - 1.78:1
    COLOR
    BD 50
    Special Features:
    Commentary by Christopher Guest and Eugene Levy
    Additional Scenes with Optional Commentary
    Theatrical Trailer (HD)

Blaine, Missouri, may be small, but Corky St. Clair always dreams big. Determined to get back to the lights of Broadway, he’s created Red, White and Blaine, a musical celebration of the burg’s 150th anniversary.

This Is Spinal Tap and Best in Show co-creator Christopher Guest plays Corky in this acclaimed comedy. Eugene Levy, Catherine O’Hara, Parker Posey, Fred Willard and Bob Balaban costar as stagestruck townfolk who pin their hopes of being discovered on Corky’s hilariously hapless theater production...and on reports that big-time talent scout Mort Guffman will be in the audience. “Waiting for Guffman does for regional theater what This is Spinal Tap did for rock ’n’ roll” (Jami Bernard, New York Daily News).

FB_IMG_1502843083481.

PODER likes this.
  2. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Yep, it's hilarious from beginning to end. I like Best in Show even more, but this is certainly full of hysterical moments, especially if one has ever done any community theater.

Flashgear, Will Krupp and Steve...O like this.
  3. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Great news and very funny film. My list is Mighty Wind, Best in Show, and Guffman but they are all superb.

Flashgear and Matt Hough like this.
  4. Message #4 of 9 Aug 16, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    Will Krupp

Will Krupp Cinematographer

Will
    I know i'm in the minority but I actually prefer this one to BEST IN SHOW, this is great news. Don't get me wrong I love BEST IN SHOW too, but this one has so many small, unforgettable moments that have made their way into my heart I just love it.

Not only do we have "Remains of the Day" lunchboxes (the kids really seem to like them) "My Dinner with Andre" action figures (perhaps one of the funniest jokes of all time) the low wattage brilliance of "Stool Boom" (hubbub hubbub hubbub) Catherine O'Hara and Fred Willard RUINING "Midnight at the Oasis" forever, and Christopher Guest's superbly etched breakdown ("You're bastard people!) as Corky (which also happens to be my mother's name - short for Cordelia- which adds a whole other layer to it!) we also get the beautiful sight of Parker Posey cooking a SINGLE chicken wing for her dinner on an outside grill ("They said I can go back to Tastee Freeze whenever I want.")

I could go on and on. I hope they port the special features over from the DVD because we NEED to have Libby Mae's batshit INSANE alternate audition scene ("Who's on top and who's on bottom NOW, Billy?!?!?) which Parker Posey wrote herself!

BEST IS SHOW is supremely fast and funny ("That piping! She looks like a cocktail waitress on an oil rig") but GUFFMAN also has a layer of pathos, a heart (we really really root for these sweet oddballs) that I find missing in the follow ups.

Can't wait to see what the new transfer looks like.

Edit: Looking at the specs I now see it does say "Additional Scenes with Commentary" so I'm sure it WILL include the additional Parker Posey scene that Christopher Guest loved (it truly is insane) but had to cut for time.

[​IMG]

Steve...O, Flashgear and Matt Hough like this.
  5. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    After acquiring this, I will have all the C. Guest movies I need to have on Blu. I have his others of DVD and that's fine. I've been engaged with local stage productions personally and find GUFFMANN to be hilarious.

Will Krupp and Flashgear like this.
  6. atfree

atfree Producer

Alex
    Release date is 9/26

7. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Cinematographer
    Supporter

I was lucky enough to catch Guffman on its original release, knowing nothing about it except the cast and that it was about community theatre. I was blown away. I immediately began grabbing anyone in the theatre community that I knew and forcing them to go see it. I saw it three times, myself. As insane as it is, what makes it amazing is how accurate it is. Also, the film never makes fun of its characters. It embraces their oddness and naïveté.

Will Krupp likes this.
  8. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member

Charles Smith
    I think you can say that about the entire series of films. They are indeed humane, and it's remarkable how they bear repeated viewings.

Will Krupp and Steve...O like this.
  9. Message #9 of 9 Aug 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2018
    Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    91oF-zhHmML._SL1500_.

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.