What's new

Waiting for Columbus (1 Viewer)

Dan Lassiter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan Lassiter
I just notice on the ICE website that Rhino is releasing on April 2 Little Feat's Waiting For Columbus deluxe edition. Has anyone heard what this will contain. I know they abridged the original 2-record live set so they could release it as a single CD (the missing tracks were tacked onto another of the band's studio CDs). The whole album would have fit on one CD by the way.

I've always thought the original complete 2-record set was one of the best live albums of all time. It would be interesting if they were able to add some other tracks recorded at the same time as the original LP was. If they are up to the same standards this could be fantastic!

So does anyone know the scoop on this deluxe edition or am I going to have to wait until Tuesday to fine out?

Dan

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Rhino's website says this:
Waiting For Columbus (Deluxe Edition) - Little Feat said:
I might pick this up. I only have the boxed set which is quite good. I would probably pick up some of the original albums if they would issue remasters.
NP: Phish - 7/16/1999 - Holmdel, NJ

Darren H

Second Unit
I just noticed this the other day, too, and have been counting the days. Considering that Waiting for Columbus is already the greatest live album of all time (not open for debate), I think it's safe to say that this rerelease will be worth getting.

Please post reviews if you get it.

KevinJ

Supporting Actor
i've had a pre release cd-r of this album for a month or so and the reissue is amazing compared to the original cd

Dan Lassiter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan Lassiter
Darren,

I picked the new Deluxe Edition up on release day of 4-2 and I must say that it is really a great package.

Firstly, the sound is a vast improvement over the original CD release. I had the Mobile Fidelity half speed master LP of Waiting for Columbus and this new CD sounds better to me.

As for what Rhino did with it, they did mess with the original running order and switched what were sides two and three of the LP. This results in the end of CD one being the fans demanding an encore. Disc 2 begins with what was the fourth side of the LP, which is the encore. The Songs Don't Bogart That Joint and A Apolitical Blues are restored to their original position on the recording.

The added material is great. Five songs were prepared for the album originally and left off due to time restraints.

Cold, Cold, Cold and Day At The Dog Races were never intended for the album and are remixed for the first time for the new edition. ...Dog Races clocks in at over 12 minutes and is very good.

The final three songs come from the original concerts and were on the Hoy-Hoy! CD.

What the deluxe edition does is finally assemble all of the songs from the original concerts on one CD.

I strongly recomend it!

Dan

Darren H

Second Unit
My wife surprised me with this CD yesterday. (It was my birthday, and I'd forgotten that I'd even mentioned it to her. A Good woman.)
I haven't been this excited about a CD in years. It's worth buying just for the improved quality, but that second disc is what has left me smiling for the last 12 hours. I can't explain how excited I am to have a live version of "Day at the Dog Races" from the Feat at their peak. If there has ever been any doubts about Kenny Gradney, Ritchie Hayward, and Sam Clayton being the deepest pocket in American rock, then they should be erased by this collection.
I resurrected this thread mostly to say this: Music Area regulars (Hamms, Broadman), if you're a fan of good songwriting, honest vocals, and the authentic rock and roll experience, you owe it to yourself to pick up this collection. Forget what you think you know about Little Feat. This is THE great American live album.
Oh yeah, and get the Live at Rockpalast DVD, too. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks