What's new

Wait Until Dark? (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Are their any plans for "Wait Until Dark" to come to DVD? I saw this film for the first time last night at a Duke University screening and was very impressed by it.

Todd_N

Agent
I have been looking forward for this to come out on DVD for some time as well. Also The Nun's Story. I believe Warner has the rights to both of these. I thought I read at the Digital Bits a long time ago (a year or more) something about Wait Until Dark being in plan for a release. Havent heard anything since.

Todd

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
THE NUN'S STORY and WAIT UNTIL DARK are my two favorite Audrey Hepburn films. They're probably also my two favorite WB films that haven't been released on DVD yet. I hope it's not too long before they are released.

--Bill

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Another question I thought I'd bring up:

If My Fair Lady is no longer owned by Warners, how did they get to release the DVD while Paramount does the VHS tape?

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Matthew:

CBS has always owned the rights to "My Fair Lady" financing the original play and cast album for $400,000.

In the early 60's, Warner Bros. leased the motion picture rights for seven years (From 1964 - 1971) for $5,000,000.

In 1971 the rights to the film went back to CBS.

In the mid 80's (When I worked at CBS/FOX) CBS joined with Fox to create the partnership: CBS/FOX Home Video (which is why the VHS and Laserdisc were put out by CBS/FOX.

In the early 90's the two compaines separated and CBS allowed FOX to distribute the film. It was at this time that CBS had Robert Harris restored the film, and it was re-release it to theaters in 1994.

Sometime around 2000 the contract with FOX must have expired as many of the CBS owned films were now coming through Paramount (Little Big Man, Scrooge)

When Warner launched DVD they went to CBS to aquire the DVD (only) Rights. (After all it was one of their Academy Award Winning Best Pictures) I believe Fox owns the Doc "More Loverly Than Ever" which would explain why it isn't on the DVD.

When and If the contract expires I would guess Paramount would release the DVD.

That's the long and the short of it. Probably more than you wanted to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks