What's new

Wait before you buy that DLP TV (CES Update) (1 Viewer)

KevinFC

Stunt Coordinator
I went to CES over the weekend and finally got a chance to look at numerous DLP sets to make a final decision. TI had there display up of panasonics, samsungs and a couple other manufacturers. Samsung by far looked the best. Panny had a flicker to it. But when I went to the Samsung booth they had all there sets up ranging from 43", 46", 50", 56" and a 61":eek:! Well after talking to a few reps and a couple of suits about the minor issues with the sets :D. I was informed that the issues will be resolved with the arrival of the new sets in the second quarter. The 46", 56" and one of the suits said there will be a 65" also will be available 2nd quarter. So if you want a DLP and can wait, you will get more of a choice plus the new sets will have more functionality. Samsung also will be releasing a varied set of widescreen tube TV sets with DVI connecters too. :crazy:

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Kevin, Thanks for the info. I am really considering an upgrade if it is worth it. Do you know how many component inputs it will have? How many DVI inputs? And the questions are referring to thw Samsung models. Thanks.

KevinFC

Stunt Coordinator
The DVI is for HDTV. The lowest I have seen the 43" for is 2800.00 and the 50" for 3600.00. But they have come down alot since I first looked into them.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
And I was also assuming due to Samsungs new dvd player that has DVI inputs, you would use those to connect to their hdtv. I am sure you could use it either way right?

KevinFC

Stunt Coordinator
Yes that is true of the new dvi inputs on there dvd players. The lowest I have seen the current 61" is 4900.00 and as high as 5700.00. So with that said a g5" would start at 5900.00 or so.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Kevin, did you actually see a Samsung dvd player hooked up through the DVI inputs to one of their new DLP hdtv's?

KevinFC

Stunt Coordinator
No I did not. But if the new dvd players have a dvi output then logic would say that it would go into the tv that way. But logic is not always the factor when TV's are made:D.

KevinFC

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff,
Here is a post from AVS Forum. Read this and then decide on what u should do.

The reason that Samsung was the only manufacturer to come out with new DLP TV's in 2002 is because TI demanded that manufactures sell the TV's for under $5K. Panasonic, Sony, Hitachi, etc..., all said "no" that they could not justify selling DLP TV's under $10K when they looked as good as their Plasma TV's. So what did TI do; they said, ok, no DLP chips for you, and partnered with Samsung, who was willing to sell TV's for what TI wanted them to sell for. And guess who came crawling back later. You guessed it ... all the other TV manufactures, because they know this product is going to sell like crazy (just like it has). And guess what price they will all be selling for ... less than $5K.

And it gets even better people. The Samsungs that are selling now will be 40% to 50% cheaper by next year, and then again, 40% to 50% cheaper the year after that. This is TI's goal, and they have a lot of influence since they control the supply of the DLP's.

How do I know all this you are asking? Well, I happen to work for TI in their development team, and I heard all of this info at a presentation given by the CEO. So trust me, it's going to happen....

By the way, all this info is also available in "Semiconductor" the magazine. I think it was the July or August issue.

Jet

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
This all sounds very promising. If this is all true, I would want to give my money to Samsung for trying to keep high quality products affordable. I think I might just wait for about a year or so to see just how low the prices will go and how much better DLP technology will get.

Dean Wette

Stunt Coordinator
I was considering the Hitachi 65TWX20B to replace my aging Marantz PV5570. But I just saw the Samsung 42" DLP and all I can say is WOW!!!

Now my plan is to get the Samsung 61 inch. Right now it's the HLM617W, but Samsung's CES page mentions the HLN617W. Noone seems to know definitely what the difference is between the current "M" and the forthcoming "N" model (or at least I've read varying opinions/facts).

Can anyone shed some new light on this? What does the "N" add/change over the "M"? I'm planning to buy around April or May.

Incidently, this will add to the Audio I just got:
Arcam AVR200 AV Receiver
Dynaudio Audience 72 fronts
Dynaudio Audience 122C center
Dynaudio Audience 62 rears.
Subwoofer (pending)

Dean Wette

KevinFC

Stunt Coordinator
Dean,
The differences are that the new models or "N" model is that they have the new DNie chip and the bezel will come in either charcoal or silver. There are a couple other new functions or add ins. But Avs Forum is a good place to start for DLP discussions. Also Samsung will be adding a 46" and a 56" to this line up :D.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
The Samsungs that are selling now will be 40% to 50% cheaper by next year, and then again, 40% to 50% cheaper the year after that. This is TI's goal, and they have a lot of influence since they control the supply of the DLP's.
That is wonderful. Thank-you Kevin for sharing your CES updates with us.

Dean Wette

Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the info Kevin. I appreciate it. I have visited AVS Forum. But it can be a chore to weed out the fluff as a new visitor. :)

BTW: did you happen to see Samsung's DirectTV/ATSC/NTSC settop box, the model SIR-TS160? What did you think? Did they say how much it'll be?

Dean

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
The Samsungs that are selling now will be 40% to 50% cheaper by next year, and then again, 40% to 50% cheaper the year after that.
The price of the DLP chip itself, or the price of the entire TV? If it's the entire TV, a $5000 set today would cost between $1250 and $1800 in 2 years. That seems rather unlikely to me. I'm all for it, of course, but I wouldn't want to take even the one-year depreciation hit.

KevinFC

Stunt Coordinator
Dean,
I have digital cable so I did not look into the setup top box with DirectTV. But I do know of the new box that does DircecTV and Digital Cable with the OTA antenna. That costs 700.00 and up from what I have seen and heard. I have not done extensive research due to the fact that COX Cable offers there box 450.00 :D, and once the new DLP's are out I will fish for one of those. Like I said before they come out in April or May, but I look to get mine in October (Thats my birthday month :b ).
James: Jet has since clarified himself. And the technology will fall by that amount every 2yrs. But one thing to remember. That TV's are now starting to be treated like computer equipment, and as such prices will fall and new technology will be available alot faster and cheaper. Trust me I am a Network Analyst and almost cry at the fact that my daughters pc which is a pII 400 cost me alot more then either of my athlon or p4 pc's. Thats why I still build my pc's to this day....just can not build the monitor nor the flat panel.

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
KevinFC: Did you get a chance to view the Optoma sets? I actually thought it was a pretty close call between the Samsung and the Optoma. If I had to choose, I'd give the nod to the Optoma. It's hard to say without being able to compare them side by side, being fed the same source, with good lighting control, but the Optoma did seem a tad better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks