What's new

Wahoo! SVS addressing the $400 market...PB10-ISD coming (1 Viewer)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I have to say, SVS makes some gosh darn good looking subs!

Q: So since the PB10-ISD doesn't have (a) port(s) on the back, can it go closer to the wall? (What is the recommendation for the PB1-ISD and PB2+ ?)

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Kevin,

Indeed the PB10-ISD's back could go closer to the wall, just an inch or two (keep in mind there is still a beefy power cord and your LFE/Sub input cable that needs some space.

The other "Powered Box" subs need more like 3-4" since their ports vent to the back. More than that is just gravy.

Thanks for the comments on styling. We weren't looking to reinvent subwoofer design, but did want a clean contemporary look that worked with either the grill on or off and would be unaffected by what sort of floor you have (yet leave the baseplate behind for the first time on this sort of SVS). We're going to have the features page up as soon as I can get some good pics of the PB10-ISD's woofer, but I think you will like even the look of the bottom of this sub, the 6 removeable soft rubber feet were a last minute touch we were just able to squeeze in the budget.

Ron

JohnnyCasaba

Agent
Ron and/or Tom:

You guys have one great looking product there according to the data you posted, I am very tempted to pre-order one. I have one question, is the grill on the front a fabric one?

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Johny,

Yes, very high quality, very tightly wrapped knit fabric that's color-keyed to each cabinet finish.

BTW, the chromed pin and rubber grommet fastening system was another little place we splurged just a little bit. We've had to many of the old plastic "ball and socket" fittings break on experimental stuff (and speakers from other OEMs).

The steel pins for the PB10-ISD will be mounted in the grill, with the recessed rubber fittings (precision bored holes with compliant material inside basically) will be fitted into the sub cabinet itself so that those of you that want to go "grill-less" won't be catching your shins on steel pins ;^)

You would need a sharp eye, but the early photo samples had the reverse configuration (pins mounted in the sub)... but it's been changed for production.

Ron

JohnnyCasaba

Agent
Ron,

Thanks for the quick reply. Any chance you could offer a metal grill option? As a cat owner, I know that fabric grill will be torn up.

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Johnny,

There are no plans for that right now, but I know our supplier does that on some other products so let me look into it.

That woofer needs a LOT of clearance (it's very high excursion) so designs to allow for that are key.

Ron

jeff.adams

Agent
I'm sorry, but did we ever get an answer to the tuning question I asked a day or two ago? It's probably in there and I just missed it.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>I'm sorry, but did we ever get an answer to the tuning question I asked a day or two ago? It's probably in there and I just missed it.

jeff.adams

Agent
So you're saying that for any new model (given that all the old models have the tuning info in the specs, at least I think so) you will forgoe publishing the tuning? What about cases where you have multiple ports? Will the different tuning combinations be called, "Low", "Med-Low", and "Medium" (along with the switch on the amp)? I certainly respect your privilege to do anything at all you want, but it seems a tad silly to me.
Thanks for your time,
Jeff

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>So you're saying that for any new model (given that all the old models have the tuning info in the specs, at least I think so) you will forgoe publishing the tuning?

jeff.adams

Agent
It could well be (and more likely is) my mistake. My recollection of reviews of the "tunable" subs seemed to use the word "tune", as in, "I plugged one port to try the 20 Hz tune" (I may not have the numbers right, this was just an example).
Thanks,
Jeff

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi Jeff,

You are probably right...everyone (including me at times) tends to use the two terms interchangeably. *extension* and *tune* or *extension mode* and *tuning point*. Setting the PB-2+ to 20hz mode doesn't mean the tuning point of the enclosure is now exactly 20.00hz though(for example). When you think about it---there is really no way to "tune" one enclosure size so that three porting options (1,2,3 open) will give you exactly 16,20,25hz *tunes*...or 12,16,20hz *tunes*.

We've also learned to keep some information about our designs *closer to the vest*...you would be surprised how many competitors are reading every word we post right now...already in the beginning stages of r/d for their PB10-isd "killer". Will they be able to order a PB10 and dissect it when we begin shipping?(or will they be able to read a review that might contain that info?)Sure. But I'm not giving them a 2-3 month head start on that info..:)

Tom V.
SVS

jeff.adams

Agent
Tom:

That makes perfect sense (no point in giving them a head start) :).

I haven't seen the inevitable question(s) such as,

"Would 2ea PB10-ISD have more output than 1ea PB1-Plus"

and those sorts of things. I'm a closet bass guy who has yet to "out" himself by actually buying a good sub (I have an old F1000R from Velodyne and it's not bad, but, it's not superb either :)). I've got an MC12 and one of the cool things about the MC12 is that it handles 3 subs. Their recommended setup for that is two subs on sides (more or less under the side surround), then one LFE sub somewhere. This is part of Dr. G's work to increase the sense of envelopment. Anyway, long story, but at these prices, a guy could almost afford to buy 3!!!!

Keep up the great work!
Jeff

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Jeff,

If you find yourself in LA during the week 18-24 SEP, you might be able to see a PB1-ISD or whatever I can drag to Hollywood to support the HTF Meet Week there.

Someone with an MC-12 probably would have fun with a couple of SVS's. It seems to be the processor of choice among single and recently single partners in SVS.

I'm too lazy and prefer receivers (though my offices are never lacking for the latest subwoofers ;^)

Ron

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I wanted to get the PB10 for my second room stereo system, until I found out it had no built-in crossover:frowning: (Since the cost of an external crossover would push it into the PCi territory).

Oh well, I guess I'll have to use my 20-39PCi for my stereo system and buy a PB2+ for my surround sound system :D

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
I feel compelled to put in 2 cents (probably over-valued) on the feature set of the PB10-ISD since I think a lot of us (me included, as my initial plans for it involved speaker level inputs) have focused on the "negative":

All subs in a given price range have to make some sacrifices that prevent them from being the perfect sub. I'm glad to see it appears SVS made sure performance wasn't one of those sacrifices, and I think they made the right sacrifices to meet this price class. A lot of posts about this sub focus on the lack of speaker level inputs and crossover, but knowing SVS, the posts will focus its incredible performance once it starts shipping. Perhaps I'm wrong there, but I look forward to putting one of these in my house and finding out.

My guess is SVS is a victim of its own success with the focus of missing features. The reason being this sub has gotten a lot of attention from current SVS owners looking to add this to a smaller two-channel system, and we're used to not only the incredible price-to-performance ratio, but feature-to-price ratio as well. Where this sub's real success will lie is with the HT enthusiast with less than $500 shipped to spend on a subwoofer. I'm guessing that's the audience for this sub, not those of us looking for a smaller sub for our secondary systems.

-Robb

Quick edit: on the heels of Garrett's post, this looks like I may have been focusing on him, and I'm not -- he has the right spirit about upgrading his gear so all the pieces meet his needs.

Stephen Houdek

Second Unit
Real Name
S
Congratulations Ron/Tom, but will it be "musical"!!

I agree completely with your decision to leave off the XO. It gets left off on my PB1+.....Also, any "audiophyles" that won't use a DD processor also wouldn't use a subwoofer. Tubes and two channel man, that is all they're about. So that argument is dead in my humble opinion.

I think you made all the right decisions on this one, the continuously variable phase should be a big benefit for some. (My processor also has distance for the sub which I didn't realize until tonight could substitute for phase!!) Learn something every day I guess.

MikeNg

Second Unit
I guess I may be in the minority that's thinking of adding it to a second 2-channel system.

I'm planning on using with an old HK AVR(80 mkII) that has a pretty good pre/pro section, so I'll have a crossover available.

Stephen Houdek

Second Unit
Real Name
S
Mike, I'd be willing to bet you are in the majority on this one as far as two channel is concerned.

Anyone with less may be better off spending their money on a newer processor. I wouldn't buy a sub for a system that wasn't designed for one, but that is just me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks