What's new

Wahoo! SVS addressing the $400 market...PB10-ISD coming (1 Viewer)

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Ron,

Thanks for the info. I will have to looked into my schedule. If I can, I would like to show some folks the sites in Manhattan and Hermosa Beaches as well. I will contact Gregg today.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
SVS dudes:

I am sure you know about this, but Jamo shipped some of their subs with OUTBOARD hi-level subwoofer preamp outs. We have one, but no longer use it. It was a box with a L/R in/out, and a RCA jack in the middle that went to the subwoofer. Very simple and probably cost nothing to make. I have never seen anything like it anywhere else.

jeff.adams

Agent
Perhaps I missed it - did one of the fine SVS folks state the tuning (of the PB10-ISD)? I assume it's fixed with the one port? 20 Hz?

TIA,
Jeff

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
What I want to know is, what's with not including an adjustable crossover? The 100w Parts Express plate amp has an adjustable crossover and it costs less than $100. That makes the price of the PB10 misleading. It is the price of the PB10 plus whatever an electronic crossover costs, if you can even FIND one that will sum the two bass channels into one. Otherwise you'd either only hear bass from one of the audio channels through the sub or you'd have to buy two subs. The omission of a built-in crossover would be a deal-killer to me because I only have an entry-level reciever that does NOT have an adjustable low-pass! And there are plenty of recievers out there that don't.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi Rory,

>>>What I want to know is, what's with not including an adjustable crossover?>That makes the price of the PB10 misleading. It is the price of the PB10 plus whatever an electronic crossover costs, if you can even FIND one that will sum the two bass channels into one.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Is there any built in EQ/boost in the amp? Or is the amp output flat? Just curious if any internal eq/boost will be eating away at all that power and if that's indeed where the great low end comes from. Even if there is some built in eq, it's still amazing performance in the price and size range.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi Stephen,

We don't reveal design considerations like that. All I will say about the "EQing" of the amp is...it really won't detract from the headroom of the PB-10isd.

Along with the flat FR, Once the clean deep bass(16-25hz) output of the PB10isd is compared to the current $400ish "champs"...I think this will be very clear...:)

Tom V.
SVS

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
Could you offer an external lowpass active crossover that is cheaper than the Marchand Black Box, without its extraneous features?

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Curtis,

Certainly I think any of us can see a day when crossovers, even in high end subwoofers, no longer make any sense at all. When you have to make hard choices between largely extraneous features, or performance and price... it's pretty easy calculus. Further up the ranges (where I think most of the dedicated two channel guys reside anyway) it's arguably still going to be a required feature set for some time.

Once again we know there are subs in this same price class (let's call it $350-$450) that DO have crossovers. Most of those will have their crossovers bypassed and high-level I/O's unused too... but not come close to the overall performance of the PB10-ISD. We knew what direction WE wanted to go with an entry-level product.

Rory,

As noted above, there are some good low-cost external crossovers out there but we don't carry any and probably won't. By the time you incorporated one into your system you might already have exceeded the cost of a decent Dolby Digital receiver (which as Tom indicated makes any such device wholly unnecessary), or even allow you to move up the range to an SVS that DOES have the features in question (plus still better performance; good as it is, the PB10-ISD isn't going to outgun its more costly brothers).

I'm glad you voiced your desire; rest assured we're aware there are a few folks that want an entry level SVS with its inherent performance AND some of these additional features that most just bypass. If there's a way to take care of that small (but important) audience, we'll do it. Putting on $100 plate amps from Parts Express won't be an option though. Products like those generally aren't in the same class of performance as what we use unfortunately.

Ron

Brandon:W

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you Ron and Tom -

I appreciate all of your responses. This kind of pre-sales (heck, pre-product) customer support is so refreshing. Thanks guys! (Are you getting sick of all this praise yet? )

Please don't misunderstand my questions as criticism. I'm just trying to be more informed. You see, I WILL own a SVS soon. I just have to decide which one. I'd already psyched myself up for spending $800 for one (now my wife is another story) - but now I'm thinking of this new guy.

Oh the pain of so many good choices.

Brandon

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
How come there isn't a passive PB2 Plus & PB2 Ultra subwoofer? You only have one passive box sub, but plenty of passive cylinders.

One device I'm hoping for- a auto EQ box, like the SOS + calibrated mic, but with a few more EQ bands/filters. Any chance you could manu. one of these? I understand it'll cost quite a bit, but I would be prepared to spend it. Settings for those with passive subs would be useful too (sub sonic filter, gain, phase)- with disable settings for active subs with sub sonic filters and other controls down the line (so you dont have two sub sonic filters active etc)

Regarding subs with crossovers, some people still have stereo systems, so it would be a shame if your decide to remove crossovers from your range of subs. Audiophiles would not use a AV amp/AV pre-amp for "Hi-Fi" duties.

Rudi B

Stunt Coordinator
I'm 100% sure that SVS is going to sell the Rocket R-DES equalizer "system". Am I correct, Ron? ;)

Allen_N

Stunt Coordinator
The crossover tells it at what hz the sub gets a signal. So it if is set at 80 the sub will play the stuff that is below 80hz. I believe the Onkyo would have a crossover.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
ALL DD/DTS and even pro-logic receivers have a x-over. In simplified terms, the x-over is a "blending point" at which the receiver (or sub if that is the case) divides up the signal and distributes the higher frequencies to the main speakers and the bass and LFE information to the sub, allowing each set of speakers to focus on the frequency range they are designed to handle best.

Yes, the 501 will have a crossover, it just needs to be turned on. This is done by setting any/all of your speakers to small.

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
Not all pro-logic receivers have a built-in subwoofer crossover. Some did, but these were the exception rather than the norm. And they often had an undesirably high XO point, like 120Hz, 150Hz or even 200Hz.

Ron's comments about phase control got me wondering:
"Twin sub migration just seems to be a natural progression for enthusiasts. When they do THAT is when something better than a 0-180deg. flip switch isn't just "nice to have", it's critical. With a capital "C". The simple fact is, most folks will not co-locate their dual subs. They separate them into opposite sides of their couch, corners or whatever. And unless you are blessed with the world's best room (or rather, the weirdest) you will never get two subs to "work together" by only flipping phase 180 degrees."

I thought that the after the move from PC to PCi, the PCi and PB1-ISD subs only had the 0-180 degree flip. When I look at their website, the PCi specifications say

"0 to 180 degrees Continuously variable phase knob"

But the plate amp picture only shows 2 knobs - one for gain and another for XO frequency. Its a low-res picture but I'm pretty sure I'm seeing a toggle switch that has "0" and "180" settings.

What's up with this "critical" feature? Do the PCi's have it? Have they always had it? Or has it not always been considered quite so critical (with a lowercase c, perhaps)?

I know most folks would gladly trade speaker-level in/outputs for a real phase control.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
The digi pic is outdated. The amps were all upgraded to a CV phase control as a running production change.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks