What's new
Real Name
Tim
Timothy Bodzioney submitted a new blog post

Wagon Master Blu Ray Review
images.jpeg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
It has been said that Wagon Master inspired TV's Wagon Train. Season Four contains the John Ford directed episode, 'The Colter Craven Story.' John Wayne even makes a shadowy appearance, and who would otherwise be unrecognizable, except for that distinctive voice of his. Wikipedia gives a good summary of this wonderful episode.

"Cast with a collection of actors who repeatedly appeared in Ford's films and were known as the John Ford Stock Company, "The Colter Craven Story" was done as a favor to Wagon Train star Ward Bond, who played supporting roles in 24 Ford films (and in one TV episode, "Rookie of the Year"). Filmed in September 1960, it was broadcast 18 days after Bond's sudden death from a heart attack on November 5."

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’ve never seen Wagon Train but that description makes that episode seem like a much watch.

And Wagon Master was an absolutely wonderful picture. One of my few blind buys this year and worth every penny.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Do you know, is the show in generally available from a more legit source? Not opposed to paying for a disc or stream if it’s available that way.

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
Do you know, is the show in generally available from a more legit source? Not opposed to paying for a disc or stream if it’s available that way.

I have the 10-disc set of "The Complete Fourth Season Wagon Train." 38 hour-long B&W episodes released on DVD in 2014. I picked up my copy off of Ebay several years ago for $30-$40.

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
Wagon Train lasted eight seasons. In many ways, it is an anthology series, much like Gunsmoke became when it expanded to hour long episodes; stories told centered on the special guest star(s) who interact with the show regulars. So yes, I think it's a good show. It's a staple on MeTV. And like Gunsmoke, the story-writers know how to use their 'fish-hook' openings to catch the viewer and not let go.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Wagon Train lasted eight seasons. In many ways, it is an anthology series, much like Gunsmoke became when it expanded to hour long episodes; stories told centered on the special guest star(s) who interact with the show regulars. So yes, I think it's a good show. It's a staple on MeTV. And like Gunsmoke, the story-writers know how to use their 'fish-hook' openings to catch the viewer and not let go.

I haven't made it through the entire Wagon Train series yet, but I would rate it closer to Death Valley Days in terms of the quality of writing. It isn't bad, but to me it just isn't in the same league as Gunsmoke. Some episodes of Wagon Train are fantastic, but so many fall into the decently average category. The lone color season of Wagon Train (season 7) in the 90 minute format was pretty great throughout though. It gave the stories room to breathe, and did not feel "padded" like so many of the Virginian eps. did.

Much like the original Star Trek is to sci-fi, Gunsmoke is to the classic TV Western. If Wagon Train had that charismatic chemistry of a cast like Doc, Kitty, Festus, and Matt, it would pull a lot more weight with me. That being said, "Wagon Master" is now in my immediate "buy" category thanks to the review!

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I haven't made it through the entire Wagon Train series yet, but I would rate it closer to Death Valley Days in terms of the quality of writing. It isn't bad, but to me it just isn't in the same league as Gunsmoke. Some episodes of Wagon Train are fantastic, but so many fall into the decently average category. The lone color season of Wagon Train (season 7) in the 90 minute format was pretty great throughout though. It gave the stories room to breathe, and did not feel "padded" like so many of the Virginian eps. did.

Much like the original Star Trek is to sci-fi, Gunsmoke is to the classic TV Western. If Wagon Train had that charismatic chemistry of a cast like Doc, Kitty, Festus, and Matt, it would pull a lot more weight with me. That being said, "Wagon Master" is now in my immediate "buy" category thanks to the review!
TBH, I think "Gunsmoke" was the most boring western TV series I have ever seen. Not a fan of it and found the chemistry of the cast not enough for me to overcome how I would never watch it much during its heyday.

Anyway, can we move this discussion to another thread as this is a Blu-ray review of a movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks