WAF: How to "hide" the back of a speaker?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin C Brown, Jan 24, 2003.

1. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

My family room opens up into my kitchen. I used to have my surrounds within about 3 ft of the back wall (*behind* a computer desk thing that is on the kitchen side). I just moved them out about 5 ft into the room. On the side open to the kitchen, I now have the one *next* to the computer desk (bookshelf speakers on 14"x14"x39" "bookshelf" stands). Even I don't like looking at the back of the speaker from the kitchen side. [​IMG] The best I could come up with, is to maybe drape a nice piece of cloth (or a towel or something) over the back of it. Any other ideas?

2. Patrick R.E.

Patrick R.E. Agent

I got some ideas, you could use a small colum with a plant on top or use a small bookcase to hide the back of the speaker.

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Where's Martha Stewart when you need her? Oh that's right, selling stock.
    Well if you're going to cover the back of the speakers, you'd want the effect to be like whatever you're looking at belonged there and was intentionally done. Not knowing what your decor is, and even if I did I'd probably be the wrong person to ask for decorating tips, you might consider placing room dividers behind them like these for instance.
    http://www.onewayfurniture.com/cedarchests.html
    A take off on that would be for you to design your own divider (fabric, rice paper, etc.) on a frame with the same dimensions as the back of your speaker. Put velcro on the speaker backs and the frame and it'd hide things. The depth of the frame would be chosen so that the wires didn't intrude on the covering. I'd think you wouldn't have to be too careful building the frame itself. Maybe just butt the ends and put some 45 degree braces on all 4 corners. Good luck though and really a great question.

4. TylerZ

TylerZ Stunt Coordinator

Following Chu Gais' idea you could attatch a piece of 1/4" plywood cut to your speaker dimensions with velcro. The plywood can be stained or painted black to match your speakers. Or the frame idea he mentioned could be covered with a piece of grill clothe available at Rat Shak so it looks like a speaker on both front and back. You could also pick up some of that split black tubing to run your wires thru to keep it neat looking.

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Good ideas! I like the divider idea. Ideally, 18" sq (foldable) is really all I need...

6. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

make sure the spousal unit chooses it.

7. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Hee, hee. [​IMG]