Wacky Races Complete Series

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Anthony Neilson, Jul 7, 2004.

1. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
    This doesn't appear to have been mentioned yet :

Warner Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Wacky Races: The Complete Series for 19th October 2004 with a retail price of $34.98. Start your DVD engines! Diabolical do-badder Dick Dastardly, his snickering canine cohort Muttley and their Mean Machine take on you and all comers for all the fast and furious fun of the complete animated series Wacky Races. Gear up to keep pace with this dimwitted duo as well as their rivals: Peter Perfect in his Turbo Terrific, Luke and Blubber Bear in the Arkansas Chucgabug, the Ant Hill Mob in the Bulletproof Bomb and glamorous Penelope Pitstop in her pink Compact Pussycat.

This three-disc digipack set contains all 34 original episodes with the following features:
    1.33:1 Full Screen
    English, French and Spanish Mono
    English, French and Spanish subtitles
    Commentary by: Iwao Takamoto-Production Designer, Jerry Eisenberg-Character Designer, Earl Kress-Writer/Animation Historian and Scott Shaw!-Cartoonist/Hanna-Barbera Historian on: Ballpoint Penn or Bust, Fast Track to Hackensack, Overseas Hi-Way Race and Race to Racine
    Rearview Mirror: A Look Back at Wacky Races (retrospective documentary, 25mins)
    Spin-Out Spin-Offs - featurette on the spin-off shows Dastardly & Muttley and Their Flying Machines and The Perils of Penelope Pitstop (12mins)
    Wacky Facts Trivia Track - pop-up trivia over episodes See-Saw to Arkansas and Creepy Trip to Lemon Twist (22mins)

2. Paul Miller

Paul Miller Supporting Actor

It is good to see they are pricing these titles better now. I may wind up picking this up now.

Paul

3. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

I like the price on this set and will definitely buy it.

4. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

That's because it's three discs instead of four.

I may pick this up, but I won't be in any hurry.

5. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Holy crap- I NEVER thought I'd see this again!! I wish they'd put them out with the commercials that were shown during the original airing though, I'd give my life savings for that!

6. Sean.S

Sean.S Stunt Coordinator

Yes! This is a cool cartoon and I can't believe it's getting the royal treatment with commentaries and interviews! And, the price is quite right too!

Muttley!!!! (***hehehehehe***)

7. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Great news on this coming in October and on the price reduction. I don't think they would be reducing it from $64.95 to $34.95 just because of one less disc, I think they realise that to sell some of the lesser Hanna Barbera material they had to reduce the price a bit. I will be getting this and by the way this show was 17 half hour episodes each with 2 shorts which is where the 34 is coming from but I hope these are in original format with the original opening and ending credits for each of the 17 shows.

8. Mick Tees

Mick Tees Second Unit

Count me in for the Wacky Races DVD! I remember this show growing up.

What was the name of the two cavemen that used to hit each other as they drove down the road? I think they were my favorite... I wonder if that was the inspiration for the "Captain Caveman" cartoon?

I remember my brother and I watched this show and we would each pick someone to win the race and oh, how we'd cheer em' on!!!

9. Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman Supporting Actor

I'll pick this up, because many of the episodes were written by Michael Maltese, best known as the writer/gagman for Chuck Jones and Friz Freleng at Warner Brothers. He wrote most of the Road Runner cartoons, for example, and that definitely showed in his work on this show.

10. Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke Screenwriter

Andrew Radke
    I'll definitely get this!! I'm also happy with the price reduction, and I hope the upcoming "Flintstones" season 2 set will be around the same price.

I hope eventually they release the "Dastardly & Muttley" series. That was one of my all-time favorites. In the meantime, "Wacky Races" will definitely flip the bill. Can't wait.

11. Alan Kurland

Alan Kurland Stunt Coordinator

Can't wait!! Love the Hanna-Barbera shows.

Stop that pidgeon, now!

12. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Michael Metro: The Slag Brothers In the Boulder Mobile (car #1).

Read all the competitors' names in my original news post. The new news is here, by the way.

13. Mick Tees

Mick Tees Second Unit

Thanks Dave... The Slag Brothers in the Boulder Car. Ahhh, the memories. I saw the cover art for "Wacky Races". I am so impressed with the quality that Hanna-Barbera has been putting into their disc sets.

I took my wife to Harry Potter 3 at the I-Max Theatre yesterday and I picked up "Challenge of the SuperFriends" First Season DVD at Best Buy. I watched the first two episodes and it seemed at times to jump a little bit. Did anyone else notice that? Perhaps the animation isn't as good as Flintstones, Jetsons, Scooby-Doo... but when you compare those with Challenge they really don't compare...

Did anyone else notice that there is a bit of jumping in the animation with Challenge? (I'm wondering if I got a bad DVD or if it got too hot in the car.)

14. Will_C

Will_C Second Unit

Will
    I love all these Hanna-Barbera cartoons that are coming out. Glad to know about Wacky Races. I'm hoping that they'll release the Scooby-Doo All Star Laff-A-Lympics soon. I used to love listening to Snagglepuss on the sidelines [​IMG] Speaking of Superfriends, I would really like to have the two '80s Superfriends seasons: Galactic Guardians and The Legendary Super Powers Show. I thought Firestorm was the coolest member of the team.

15. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I'm so happy I held off on that Japanese import set.

I feel really bad for ever criticizing WB about their H-B library in the past...

16. Eugene Esterly

Eugene Esterly Supporting Actor

Cool. I have Wacky Races in my wishlist to purchase in the near future. I saw this cartoon several years ago on the animation block called Bomerang which Cartoon Network used to air & I have liked the cartoon ever since.

Here's hoping that Warner releases Dastardly & Muttley and Their Flying Machines & Perils of Penelope Pitstop on DVD.

17. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

I'm sure if Races sells well (and I'm sure it will), that it's a forgone conclusion that the other two series will follow at some point (I'd certainly buy Dastardly and Muttley myself).

18. Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green Supporting Actor

After the special feature on the spinoffs, there is the following text: Dastardly & Muttley and Their Flying Machines & Perils of Penelope Pitstop COMING SOON to DVD

Love this set! I like the packaging and the background art where the dvd's are housed.

I found the easter eggs (intermission footage; We'll be right back after these messages) which really aren't hard to find if you ask me. I wonder why they're in such bad shape. I thought they were part of the show.

19. Tory

Tory -The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

Tory

Lesser? You did mean lesser known or something to that extent right?

20. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Really??

Was it just an on-screen text blurb or an actual preview??

That's such great news!!!

[​IMG]

I'm heading out now to pick up the set!!!