Wacked Out Speaker Levels But Awesome

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by RobTauber, Nov 4, 2005.

1. RobTauber

RobTauber Agent

I have a 14 x 22 theatre, with 7.1. I have been trying for months to get the system to blend and sound natural.I finally did, but not by usual methods.

I spent money on SPL meters, Calibration Discs (DVE, AVIA),and software. Thought I had it down, and sounding great.

Then, had a couple of my HT Entusiast friends come over, and we started playing with levels, etc...

Here is what we ended up with for levels, and they seem way out of line. Front L,R +4.0, C +4.5, R,L Surr +7.5,
    Rear Surr R,L +6.0, Sub +9.0.

It seems this goes against all I know, but it really does sound incredible now, with all sources, even music. I am trusting my ears for now, and leaving it as is.

Am I going to hurt anything, could these levels be right for my room? I usually keep my volume around -25 or -20, nothing too outrageous.

Here is my gear; (if this matters)
    ONKYO TX-DS989 Ver.2
    Energy Conisseur C9 Towers
    Energy Conisseur CC-3 Center
    Energy Conisseur CR-3 Bi/DiPole Side/Rears
    JBL S120PII SubWoofer

2. John S

John S Producer

Doesn't seem so out of line, especially if your using mis-matched speakers. But you are saying now on the meter it is way off? The trouble with doing by ear is your also doing it by source content. I don't think you will hurt anything by any means. Just still currious.

3. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    If the levels bother you just calibrate at a higher volume level or drop everything by 4.0.

If it sounds good to you, how can we argue? Personally I'd rather trust a meter when it comes to test tones.

4. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

If you meter it against the tones, and it sounds like crap, then hey - it sounds like crap.

Do it by ear and live with it for a while - like it? Then you are golden.

Measurements are a baseline to see if something is broken, etc. But when it comes to what I like, I measure it AFTER, for kicks.

5. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

SO what were the levels when using the SPL and Avia for each speaker?