Waaaah....I want my Buffy!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joel Mack, Aug 20, 2002.

1. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

Local EB says it'll be another day...
    Rats. [​IMG]

2. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Shipped today from Ebworld.com! [​IMG]
    -Dave

3. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

I can pick mine up right now, but I think I am just going to rent it (ducks down from Joel).

-Dean-

4. Scott Varney

Scott Varney Agent

Picked it up today at a local store. Game is fairly good the little I've played though on an ISF calibrated set it is very dark.

5. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

There is a brightness meter, and it's supposed to be dark. The game is mostly at NIGHT, and matches the look of the show

My only complaint thus far is the lackluster voice direction. These people are MUCH better actors than this.

And Faux-Buffy goes from terrible to decent and back again

7. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

I got mine yesterday [​IMG] Really like it so far. I think it succeeds in what licensed games are theoretically supposed to do: make you feel like you're a part of the action you see on tv every week. The fighting system is easy to use but is very deep for a game of this nature. I totally marked out last night when I was facing two vamps at once. I jumped up and kicked one vamp three times in the air, knocking him hard against a wall and then quickly staking him and then in one smooth continuous motion backhanded the vamp behind me and then staked him as well. Just like on the show [​IMG] I haven't yet managed to throw a vamp on one of the many protruding wooden objects in a level but I'll work on that. I need to explore the environment more often before attacking [​IMG] It's also very amusing to miss staking a vamp sometimes and battling the victim while he or she has a stake impaled through their face/shoulder/whatever for the rest of the fight [​IMG]
    The substitute Buffy voice is alright. Definitely not as good as Sarah Michelle Gellar, who gets more nuances into her delivery, but it's a fair imitation. Character models are nice too, although it appears that Xander and Spike have exchanged cheek bones, and Willow doesn't look much like Willow. But that's nitpicking.
    Since I love the show I'm not sure if people who don't watch will be able to appreciate how well the game does in capturing it, but I'm very happy [​IMG]

8. Scott Varney

Scott Varney Agent

I found the brightness meter. After turning it up to be able to see SOMETHING, I quite enjoyed the game. Is anybody else experiencing occasional pauses though? Also, the game disc stopped being recognized at some point in the first level. I've had this happen with the cheap Official XBox magazine discs, but never a game before. Is this common, perhaps the game discs is bad, or is my XBox going bad?

9. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

10. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

There was a "here slayer..." the first time I played through. I've noticed several brief pauses throughout the course of the first couple of levels.

11. Andrew s wells

Andrew s wells Second Unit

I want buffy too. [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

I did get my "Buffy" today! [​IMG] That, and "Dead to Rights". Fortunately with price matching, game trade-ins, and deposits, it was only $37 out of pocket for the pair. Yay! [​IMG]
    Off to slay vampires....

13. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

How do you use that Hellfire vial? It seems like she just carries it, but doesn't do anything with it. Lovin' it so far, except it's more like Buffy, the Vampire Slain. I'm glad there are unlimited continues!

-Dave

14. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

You have to target it like the crossbow. Hold down the left trigger

They have a far more useful purpose later in the game

15. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

16. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Is it 16x9 Widescreen?

17. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

Dave: No, it is not.

18. Daryl Furkalo

Daryl Furkalo Second Unit

Finally I have my copy!

19. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Now how often have you wanted someone to load up a Super Soaker squirt gun with Holy Water and take on some vamps? It's great that you get to do this.
    But I am in the Sunken Church level and the squirt gun is loaded with hellfire, and I swear the background music is straight out of Alien. No, I'm not drunk. It really is the low-ominous music from the movie.
    PS: I'm in Angel's training room fighting the snake creature and I'm getting my butt kicked. There are a few problems:
    - I can knock his health down, but never stab him with a stake. He just stays alive.
    - There are buttons that open panels to let in sunshine. But I can never seem to get him to go into a patch of sun. And the panels close after about a minute.
    - The camera view goes all "wonky". I'm controlling Buffy and squeeze the left trigger to orrient the camera, but it seems stuck in a wall and wont put me behind her so I can guide her to the wall buttons/fight. It's very frustrating when the interface gets in the way.
    Anyone have advice for dealing with the slug creature?
    Oh, and I have discovered the hard way that: Some levels you DONT beat the bad guy to death. In the Bronze, you run away from the guy you cannot stake. In the underground church, you CAN go along the path after the second firepit, but you are better off going through the gate right away. Or you get stuck at a chasm. I suspect I kill the slug creature in a similar, non-obvious fashion.

20. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Sunshine is the key. Beat him up until the health meter is at zero, then concentrate on running around and opening panels. Hopefully he'll run into the sunlight at some point.

-Dave