What's new

WA: Les Girls 04-17-18 BD Release (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
29497053_10156278183101563_8166511199559614464_n.jpg

LES GIRLS (1957)
Run Time 114:00
English SDH
DTS HD-Master Audio 5.1 - English
ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO - 2.35:1, 16 X 9 LETTERBOX
COLOR
BD 50
Special Features:
Cole Porter in Hollywood: Ca C'est L'Amour, hosted by Taina Elg;Vintage Cartoon Flea Circus; Trailer (HD)

"BRAVO" say critics about an entertainer’s tell-all memoir chronicling her days in the cabaret act Barry Nichols and Les Girls. "Libel!" cries another of Les Girls, setting in motion a talons- and fact-baring litigation that proves Les Girls will be girls and that Cole Porter movie musicals will always sparkle.

Gene Kelly plays Nichols, and Mitzi Gaynor, Golden Globe® Best Actress winner Kay Kendall and Taina Elg are the femmes in this George Cukor-directed romp that won a Best Costume Design Oscar® and another Golden Globe® for Best Comedy/Musical. Among the highlights: a ribald "Ladies in Waiting" and a hepcat parody of The Wild One called "Why Am I So Gone About That Gal?" You’ll be so gone about Les Girls.

Last edited:

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I bought this at my local BJ's back when it first came out on DVD. I picked it up because it was a Gene Kelly film that I had not seen before, up until then I only knew him from a very select few of his films mostly just Singin' and Paris. It looked interesting and after watching it I was thoroughly enjoyed by it. I didn't know who Cole Porter was before this film and who the actress were either, so this film was a great way to learn about them.

Filmgazer

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Helman
Robert -- Thanks for the great news! "Les Girls" is one of my favorite under-rated Gene Kelly musicals ("It's Always Fair Weather" being the other one). It's stylishly directed by George Cukor ("My Fair Lady"), with lush color, Oscar-winning costumes, and a chic production design (especially the Main Title sequence). Kay Kendall delivers the sophisticated laughs, Taina Elg provides the charm, and Mitzi Gaynor offers unaffected appeal. Kelly's 'Marlon Brando" number with Gaynor is a knock-out. The movie is a delight to be discovered!

Last edited:

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
My favorite part from this film is Ladies In Waiting, a fun little number with the three ladies dressed as Marie Antoinette. The reprise of it later on in the film is even funnier that first go around.

This movie ticks off all the boxes if you're a Gene Kelly fan, a musical lover, or just a fan of classic movies in general. If you've never seen it before, trust me you'll love it.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I wonder if anyone involved with it had seen Rashomon first. Even so, this should be another great-looking and sounding release with the DVD features intact. Unlike some studios I could name, but won't.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I wonder if anyone involved with it had seen Rashomon first. Even so, this should be another great-looking and sounding release with the DVD features intact. Unlike some studios I could name, but won't.

After Rashomon came out it almost instantly became a trope overnight, as it's one of the go to things in comedy.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I am wondering if this is going to be the only release announced this month. LES GIRLS is a good choice, regardless.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
I am wondering if this is going to be the only release announced this month. LES GIRLS is a good choice, regardless.
There will probably be more. They also announced Shameless: Season 8 today, and I suspect they will announce more tomorrow (or Friday). The only way this is all they release on blu for the month of April is if they REALLY devoted a lot of their resources to their dvd releases for the month, either movies or tv shows (again, I doubt it).

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
There will probably be more. They also announced Shameless: Season 8 today, and I suspect they will announce more tomorrow (or Friday). The only way this is all they release on blu for the month of April is if they REALLY devoted a lot of their resources to their dvd releases for the month, either movies or tv shows (again, I doubt it).

If LES GIRLS is the only title announced in March, we will be back to their very early Archives release pattern of years ago. But I am pleased they are showing interest in getting some of their back catalog titles out through other sources (CURSE OF THE CAT PEOPLE from Shout!/Scream Factory, somewhat more recent ones going to Criterion). This feels like they are testing the licensing waters out, which not long ago they were not willing to even consider doing. Hope it works well for them, because they really do need new outlets to try to increase the number of their classics that get HD release.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I don't know anything about this movie, but everyone seems to like it so I guess I'll pick it up too.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
My favorite part from this film is Ladies In Waiting, a fun little number with the three ladies dressed as Marie Antoinette. The reprise of it later on in the film is even funnier that first go around.

This movie ticks off all the boxes if you're a Gene Kelly fan, a musical lover, or just a fan of classic movies in general. If you've never seen it before, trust me you'll love it.
Another box it ticks is its use of color. This is one film where Warner Archives' insistence on perfection is crucial. Each of the flashback segments has a different color pallet. For example the third, featuring Mitzi Gaynor, has more drab colors to match the fact that this part of the narrative is more drab with a - by today's standards - strong indication of romantic if not sexual harassment. George Cukor's regular co-workers, George Hoyningen-Huene and Gene Allen worked out the color design and they were all lucky that their cinematographer was Robert Surtees.

I'm delighted this film is coming out on Blu-ray disc.

Filmgazer

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Helman
The use of color in this film is very striking indeed, especially the dominant-red backstage flurry of performers lining up to go onstage in two separate sequences. As for Orry-Kelly's stylish Oscar-winning costumes, there's a very funny, eye-popping effect with the "Ladies in Waiting" outfits, which seem to reveal bare buttocks -- with a blue bow at the top-- which perfectly complements Cole Porter's racy lyrics to that song.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks