What's new

W2k <-> Vista network problem (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
With my recently setup network, I figured I try to check out file sharing between the 2 computers I have.

One, is an old PC running Windows 2000SP4 with a Netgear GA300 NIC hooked up via a Netgear WNR2000 router to a new Acer laptop running Vista 64 SP1.

Since I forget my username/password on the W2k box, I connected to the Acer with it's username/password fine. I turned on sharing on the C drive on Vista and I was able to log into it, see the C drive, and browse through the drive, however, whenever I try to copy a basic text file to the Acer laptop I get an error 'Access violation, the file you are trying to copy is in use' Kind of like trying to delete a file you have open in an application.

Is there something else I need to do or check before I can do a file transfer? I turned on the sharing and like I said, I can browse and access the C drive on the Acer from my PC, I just couldn't copy a file to the Acer.... Is there more options to actually write stuff to the destination computer (acer) that I am forgetting to do? I unfortunately, didn't try to read or (get) a file which I should of tried...

Jay

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Hmm, I read that the Windows (Vista) firewall is turned ON by default... do you think that turning it off would be a good thing? I find the error it gives odd, but maybe that is just cause the W2k doesn't have a Built-in firewall...

Jay

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Aha, finally had another chance to play, got it to work, I had to make individual folders a shared resource, i.e. it doesn't propagate. So now I have a shared folder where I can transfer files back and forth. My next task is to share my printer (an old HP 950 inkjet). I don't recall if that is a network enabled printer but if my PC is on, perhaps I can access it w/o having to transfer files first..

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.