What's new

W.C. Fields Comedy Essentials Collection - 18 films! (1 Viewer)

Movie Maven

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
ed
I think this is more than a 5 disc set more along the lines of Bing Crosby: The Silver Screen Collection which is 24 films on 13 discs, which runs close to a hundred bucks.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If they use the existing "10 movies on 3 discs" set that's out now as the backbone of the new set (which has 3-4 movies per disc), they could just add two more discs at four movies each to the existing set and call it a day.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Josh Steinberg said:
If they use the existing "10 movies on 3 discs" set that's out now as the backbone of the new set (which has 3-4 movies per disc), they could just add two more discs at four movies each to the existing set and call it a day.

How was the disc with the 4 films on it? That's....kinda pushing it. Even if the films were 60 min apiece, 3 per disc should be the max.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
JoHud said:
How was the disc with the 4 films on it? That's....kinda pushing it. Even if the films were 60 min apiece, 3 per disc should be the max.
I was skeptical when I got it, but if memory serves it looked ok. Black and white 4x3, Dolby Digital mono helps, I guess.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
These films are pretty short, so I don't think they need to do flippers.

I have just two of the lesser films on DVD already and two more on pre-rec VHS. The rest I have were all taped off TV on VHS many years ago, so purchasing this set is a no-brainer for me, since W.C. is my favorite movie comic and I quote him all the time. I'll just wait till the price goes down.

"Was I in here last night and did I spend a twenty-dollar bill?"

"You kids are disgusting, standing around reeking of popcorn and lollipops."

"Don't be a mooncalf, don't be a luddy duddy, don't be a jabbernowl, you're none of those, are you?"

"Drowned in a vat of whiskey, oh death where is thy sting?"

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I got the set from an eBay seller for about $20 shipped - that comes to $5 for each of the four films I was missing, which I considered reasonable (if they had been available on a streaming service they would have cost about that to watch once). It feels a little silly to have duplicates of so many of the other titles, but that's just the price of admission here.

I watched If I Had A Million and Six Of A Kind from the set so far, and will be reviewing them in my blind buys thread. But the quick headline is that both are older masters (Six Of A Kind is ancient) but they're good enough to enjoy the movies without an issue. Of the two, If I Had A Million looked slightly better. Audio was fine on both. Subtitles were available. No bonus features. Fields has a brief segment (about 5-10 mins in Million), and appears as a supporting character in the second half of Six of a Kind.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
(It's available individually on a MOD disc, but the six-movie set is cheaper than the single disc.)

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I'm still searching for the one film I'd like to have in my collection called Mississippi with him and Bing Crosby c. 1935 but just can't find it anywhere.
Mississippi is also on the 18 film WC Fields collection,

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I have that six disc set precisely because it was cheaper than the MOD version. And it's also on the 18 set.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The Bing Crosby Collection (College Humor / We're Not Dressing / Here Is My Heart / Mississippi / Sing You Sinners / Welcome Stranger) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0041T50J2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_07vazb9HD59Y3

(It's available individually on a MOD disc, but the six-movie set is cheaper than the single disc.)

Mississippi is also on the 18 film WC Fields collection,

Yep, that film is just impossible to find. :blink: :P

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
A few years ago it was - these all came out in relatively quick succession. And it's not like any of them are on Best Buy store shelves.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks