Vulgar to contain Dogma Documentary?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeEckman, Jul 25, 2002.

1. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

I just read on another website that the upcoming release of Vulgar by Trimark Home Video will contain the Dogma: In Defense of Dogma documentary that was held off the Columbia 2 disc SE. I heard this from a reliable source, but my question is, what is Vulgar? Does it have anything to do with Kevin Smith, and if so, is it any good?

2. Tom Rhea

Tom Rhea Second Unit

Vulgar is a movie directed by a KS associate, not sure which one, which concerns Vulgar the clown, who appears as part of the View Askew logo at the beginning of Clerks (and probably other places). I don't know if it's any good or not, but I sure hope the documentary rumor is right.

3. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

It does in fact. Kevin Smith was executive producer. I obtained a copy of this movie on VHS, since I could not just go down to any theater and watch it. It is, to be put lightly, disturbing. The boys at View Askew love their tagline, "The film Howard Stern couldn't stop talking about for weeks!" It is loosely based on the cartoon clown at the beginning of Clerks. Ya know, this one.
    [​IMG]
    Here's a few links on the movie:
    http://www.vulgarthemovie.com/
    http://us.imdb.com/Title?0120467
    Here are the Unrated S.E. Features:
    Unrated Version
    Deleted Scenes
    Gag Reel
    Easter Eggs
    Commentary with Writer/Director Bryan Johnson, Kevin Smith and Scott Mosier
    5.1 dolby digital surround mix
    Judge Not: In Defense of Dogma Documentary!!
    Edit: There will be 2 sku's for this. An R rated and an Unrated. Be sure you buy the Unrated.
    The documentary will be included. I heard that it was a package deal for whomever got the video distribution rights. This was pretty much always the plan, as they were talking about when the Doc would see the light of day when the SE of Dogma was released.

4. JasonKZ

JasonKZ Stunt Coordinator

5. Joe_C

Joe_C Supporting Actor

Finally! I was pretty fucking bummed back when it was announced that the documentary wasn't going to be included on the SE.

6. JasonKZ

JasonKZ Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, well, I am pretty bummed it is included on such a horrid, horrid movie.

7. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

8. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I've got it preordered...even if I don't like the movie, I'd really like to listen to the commentary and see the Dogma doc...

9. Michael St. Clair

It is obvious that the folks at View Askew are trying to boost sales of this movie by including this documentary that many fans (who would not buy this movie) want badly.

10. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    Christ! Rights issues prevented View Askew from including the documentary on the 2-disc DOGMA edition... I'm as cynical as the next guy (probably even a tad more so), but I refuse to believe that this an intentional ploy to boost VULGAR's sales. Hey, you've always got the choice NOT to buy it. Me? I'll be first in line to pick up VULGAR, both for the film itself and the DOGMA documentary. Can't ya'all just be glad the DOGMA doc is finally gonna be available?

11. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

Right. Kevin first mentioned that Judge Not would probably be included on the Vulgar DVD literally this time last year.

12. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

Since it was pulled from the "Dogma" disc, View Askew Productions has always intended to put it out somehow. At first, when people would ask if it would have it's own DVD release, they wouldn't *deny* that but they never said it themselves. Later they promised an online download would be made available, but that never happened. "A Better Place" and "Drawing Flies" were too far into production to add "Judge Not: In Defense Of Dogma" so "Vulgar" is the first View Askew Production not produced by Disney that would be able to feature the doc. I certainly don't think it's a sales ploy, I think they're just trying to get what's supposedly a great documentary to the public in the best way possible.