What's new

Vudu Disk Plus Digital Deals and Discussion (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Take advantage of the Disc to Digital program while you can folks. It's the cheapest way to add to your digital collection...

Like I said, unless they've moved it and I'm missing where to, there is NO mention of the program anywhere on Vudu's site any more. The program is no longer available.

Also, all of the pricing information in my purchase history has been zeroed out. There is no record of how much I paid for any of the titles in my Vudu library. In this list, the only title I bought through Vudu was Jumanji: The Next Level, and it was a Disk to Digital title:

1589035421737.png

Last edited:

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Disc + Digital is still showing on individual releases (Like the newest Jumanji film). Cranston was referring to the Disc 2 Digital program (convert discs you already own to a digital version).

Both could be impacted by the acquisition by Fandango!

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Like I said, unless they've moved it and I'm missing where to, there is NO mention of the program anywhere on Vudu's site any more. The program is no longer available.

I said Disc to Digital - you are talking about Disc + Digital.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Yeah I mean there was no way Fandango could keep it running. They'd have to essentially become a physical retailer - getting and shipping discs - just not worth it to keep that program going...

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Yeah I mean there was no way Fandango could keep it running. They'd have to essentially become a physical retailer - getting and shipping discs - just not worth it to keep that program going...

Why? Vudu has been using Walmart to fulfill the physical media orders. They've never touched an actual disc. I'm sure Fandango can continue that relationship.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Why? Vudu has been using Walmart to fulfill the physical media orders. They've never touched an actual disc. I'm sure Fandango can continue that relationship.

So you think Fandango would partner with WalMart to fulfill Disc+Digital orders? I just don't see the program bringing in that much revenue that it would be worth it for either party. I could be wrong but... based on what we're seeing today it doesn't look like I am...

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
So you think Fandango would partner with WalMart to fulfill Disc+Digital orders? I just don't see the program bringing in that much revenue that it would be worth it for either party. I could be wrong but... based on what we're seeing today it doesn't look like I am...

Well, I don't know if Fandango will continue, but Vudu has been it doing ever since the inception of the program. In fact, it's the entire basis of the program, which is to entice you to buy a physical disc in exchange for early access to a digital copy of the release.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Well, I don't know if Fandango will continue, but Vudu has been it doing ever since the inception of the program. In fact, it's the entire basis of the program, which is to entice you to buy a physical disc in exchange for early access to a digital copy of the release.

Now that Vudu has no affiliation with WalMart, it would basically be NBC/Universal and WalMart entering into an agreement to share in the profits of $19.99 purchases. It just think it's too small potatoes for either to bother with, but as I said, I can certainly be wrong...

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Now that Vudu has no affiliation with WalMart, it would basically be NBC/Universal and WalMart entering into an agreement to share in the profits of $19.99 purchases. It just think it's too small potatoes for either to bother with, but as I said, I can certainly be wrong...

Of course, with the change of ownership we have no idea if the agreement will be retained, renegotiated, or dropped. Also, 4K UHD Disc + Digital purchases were usually $24.99-$29.99. Most $19.99 titles were HDX, although the occasional 4K title would be offered at that price. Still, the program was apparently satisfying enough for both Walmart and Vudu for it to work. They did it for quite a while.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Also, 4K UHD Disc + Digital purchases were usually $24.99-$29.99. Most $19.99 titles were HDX, although the occasional 4K title would be offered at that price. Still, the program was apparently satisfying enough for both Walmart and Vudu for it to work. They did it for quite a while.

The $19.99 price I'm using is just me pulling a number out of the air for an example - I really have no idea what the cost is.

I'm just saying that before when WalMart made a $19.99 D+D sale it didn't have to share that revenue with anybody. Now they'd have to share, what, half of that with another company?

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The $19.99 price I'm using is just me pulling a number out of the air for an example - I really have no idea what the cost is.

I'm just saying that before when WalMart made a $19.99 D+D sale it didn't have to share that revenue with anybody. Now they'd have to share, what, half of that with another company?

Yeah, I agree that it's pretty likely the whole thing will go away. It was nice while it lasted though.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Yeah, I agree that it's pretty likely the whole thing will go away. It was nice while it lasted though.

Hey, I'm just struggling with the fact that I'm so bored I'm on my phone debating the future of the D+D program that I've never used ;)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Walmart owned Vudu, which made it somewhat simpler. When you ordered a Disc + Digital product, Vudu actually created an intra-company order to Walmart for the physical disc. I am sure Vudu was getting a great price on those intra-company orders -- something Fandango would not be able to duplicate.

I know this because I once had to return a disc that I had ordered through this program, as I received a DVD with no digital copy when I was supposed to receive a BD with DC. Trying to get either Vudu or Walmart to correct the issue was impossible, as Walmart customer service could not find the order number on the invoice in their system since it was not a customer order. Meanwhile, Vudu customer service had no clue how to do anything -- the first rep I got actually told me I would have to contact the studio (their standard answer for everything)! I ended up calling my credit card company and had the charge revoked. I never returned the actual disc, as neither entity had a clue how to handle the return. My wife ended up selling it for me.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I see that list for a split-second, then I get this. Doesn't matter if I'm signed in or not.

Vudu.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks