What's new

Vudu Announces Mobile Disc to Digital (1 Viewer)

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Perhaps I do need to disconnect and reconnect. I've been paranoid of doing that in fear that I might lose titles that were already there somehow, but it sounds like it's relatively risk-free.

You should have zero concern over doing it...

Last edited:

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
You should have zero concern over doing it...
Thanks for the tip! After doing that, both of the Warner titles and Apollo 11 all eventually showed up on iTunes. They didn't all arrive at the same time, but the important thing is that they are there now.

The only title still MIA from iTunes is Fifty Shades Darker. I'm assuming that's because it's listed as the Unrated Version on MA, while iTunes just includes the Unrated Version as an extra. It probably doesn't recognize that they are the same thing.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
What movies are you talking about?

Galaxy Quest. I guess it was my fault. It's a Paramount title and apparently not supported.

But so many other movies are not either. I have a Warner Archive disc. It's available for D2D but only in SD. !?!?! However, it's available in HD on iTunes. Also, most independent movies, whether they be from Amazon, Vimeo or other digital retailers, will only work where you bought them. Not in Movies Anywhere.

So we end up with multiple digital collections. I now have digital collections on Vudu, Amazon, Movies Anywhere & Vimeo. Maybe elsewhere. There's no single place to have them organized. I'm interested in more than just the Hollywood blockbusters which are decently represented on Movies Anywhere.

It's not the end of the world of course. But it would be awesome to have a single digital collection - for everything including TV shows - the way I have a single digital music collection. I like Vudu's D2D and will do some more, but you really have to research it to see if your film will actually make it to the "anywhere" places.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I will say this - movies are doing much better in the "single digital collection" regard than books and music.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I will say this - movies are doing much better in the "single digital collection" regard than books and music.
Better than music? I would disagree there. I have everything I could ever want in my Apple Music library. Apple Music allows me to upload any music that isn't already on the service, so I have no need for separate library on Spotify, Amazon Music, Google Play Music, etc.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Better than music? I would disagree there. I have everything I could ever want in my Apple Music library. Apple Music allows me to upload any music that isn't already on the service, so I have no need for separate library on Spotify, Amazon Music, Google Play Music, etc.

What I mean is you can't buy an album on Apple Music then access it on Amazon and Google. You can (mostly) with movie purchases.

Last edited:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I just converted True Lies and The Abyss. The Abyss is currently SD only. I suspect both will come to Disney Plus in 4k sooner than later. But I wanted an OompaLoompa nao, daddy.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Hulu, maybe. I don’t think either film is on brand for Disney+. True Lies, with its R rating, is definitely out, and The Abyss with its nudity is probably out on that alone despite a PG-13 rating.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Wait, when is Google Music going away?

Just search and saw it, being replaced by YouTube Music eventually. At least all the music I uploaded is suppose to transfer over.

Last edited:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Is there a tutorial on this for dummies?

There doesn’t seem to be an option to do this on the iPhone version of the app.
I’m Not sure I even need to do it but if I could get a movie like the theatrical version of Mohicans then I might want to give it a try.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
They removed the option to do it from the iOS app, you have to log in to Vudu via your phone's browser instead.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Is still an active service? Do the converted movies integrate with Movies Anywhere?

The thread caught my eye this week. As I'm thinking about moving more into streaming, it made me wonder if I start using this to convert the movies I have on blu-ray, that didn't have digital codes, to streaming?

Or maybe just save my money and put it towards rebuying whatever I want to rewatch on 4K, which will have digital redemption codes?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Yes, it's still active. Yes, if the title is a MA title it populates to all the relevant services.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Is still an active service? Do the converted movies integrate with Movies Anywhere?

The thread caught my eye this week. As I'm thinking about moving more into streaming, it made me wonder if I start using this to convert the movies I have on blu-ray, that didn't have digital codes, to streaming?

Or maybe just save my money and put it towards rebuying whatever I want to rewatch on 4K, which will have digital redemption codes?
As Peter said, it is still an active service. However, I find it less of a deal than when you could convert in batches of 10 titles for half price.

Personally, I am only buying digital versions of films I already own on disc if the transfer is higher resolution than what I already own. So I will upgrade a DVD to HDX streaming version, or a BD to a 4K streaming version. I am not spending any money to convert BDs to HDX streams.

Since it costs $5 to convert a DVD to an HDX stream using Vudu's disc to digital service, I can usually find that same film on sale for $5 at iTunes if I am patient, and buying a HDX version via iTunes also gets me a free upgrade to the 4K version of the film, should such a transfer ever become available. Vudu doesn't upgrade anything for free.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks