1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Vudu Announces Mobile Disc to Digital

Discussion in 'Streaming and Digital Media' started by Cranston37, Mar 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. mark-edk

mark-edk Second Unit

I tried this for the first time yesterday. I picked five movies that I don't have on Blu-Ray. Every barcode scanned without problem on my iPhone. I got tired of waiting for the email to tell me where to finalize the purchase so went straight to the redeem URL and there were my five movies at $5 each. Made the purchase; the titles appeared in my Vudu account and moments later three that were eligible also popped up in Movies Anywhere, iTunes, etc. Now I have an HD version of The Devil Commands! Pirates of Penzance, Godspell, Mackenna's Gold, and Conquest of Space were other titles I upgraded to HD. It was all so painless I will probably do a few more but will concentrate on titles Movies Anywhere can work its magic on.

2. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
  3. Message #23 of 47 Mar 20, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    Cranston37

Cranston37 Supporting Actor

4. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Cmon man...

5. Message #25 of 47 Mar 20, 2018
    Cranston37

I literally just converted a disc on my iPhone using the link you provided.

Maybe you can clarify what you mean by it’s no longer working on iPhone?

6. mark-edk

mark-edk Second Unit

For some reason the webpage says scanning is not supported on the iPhone app, but the first time I tried it I hadn't seen that disclaimer and downloaded the iPhone app anyhow. It does support scanning and by now I've done over a dozen titles over my iPhone.

7. Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss Producer
    Reviewer

Neil Middlemiss
    If you update to the latest version of the iOS app, the D2D scan feature does not work. It does work on your phone via the mobile web page. The new process requires a picture be taken (rather than the back of the case scanned) - and I wonder if that has something to do with people cheating using images of barcodes.

So it can be done still via mobile, just not via the app once you update it.

Sam Posten likes this.
  8. Message #28 of 47 Mar 20, 2018
    Cranston37

Correct. MD2D functionality was moved from the app to browser, but to say you can no longer use it on an iPhone just isn’t true.

9. mark-edk

mark-edk Second Unit

Thanks for the info. I guess I'm going to take my time before I get around to updating that app.

Neil Middlemiss likes this.
  10. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    This feature has never worked for me on my iPhone. Wish it did. I converted hundreds thru my laptop tho.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  11. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I recently wanted to convert some old DVDs using my PC, and it appears that the feature has been removed from the full Vudu website - - I couldn't find it. I did successfully convert the four titles using the app on my Android phone, though.

12. Chip_HT

Chip_HT Second Unit

Chip
    I see the link for it at the bottom of this page -- https://www.vudu.com/content/in_home_disc_to_digital.html

I haven't tried to see if that method actually works, though.

13. Cranston37

It wasn’t a feature on the website - you need to download the desktop Vudu to Go app...

14. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Thanks. I do remember that now. I had not attempted to convert any discs since I upgraded my PC last year. The Vudu to Go app was on my old PC, but I never installed it on the new one. The "Disc to Digital" link on the website features the Android app via the Play Store prominently, but if you scroll down it does still have a link for the desktop app.

After using the Android app, though, I doubt I'll ever need the PC app again. The Android app was quite simple -- I just needed to scan the bar code and the film popped up. I already had the app on my phone so I can watch Vudu films when traveling, so I didn't need to install anything else.

I ended up converting four Bogart films to HDX versions and selling the DVDs to clear up a little more shelf space -- Passage to Marsaille, Across the Pacific, Action in the North Atlantic, and All Through the Night. The box set also had The Maltese Falcon, but I have that one on BD now.

15. mark-edk

mark-edk Second Unit

I've been continuing to redeem disc-to-digital and it's been a mixed bag. Most of the upgrades (DVD -> HDX) have been fine. A few have issues, especially when Movies Anywhere does its thing and you can make comparisons. Around the World in 80 Days (David Niven, not Jackie Chan) looks fine on every service except FandangoNow where it gets the pan-and-scan treatment: anything to the left or right of a 16:9 format is cut off! Although I got a much wider screen from all the other services (VUDU, Amazon, Apple, I didn't check Google), they only provided 2.0 stereo audio. Movies Anywhere, accessed through a clunky, slow interface on Roku, gave me a nice bonus: 5.1 audio. But Movies Anywhere on my Apple TV (much easier interface) gave me the same 2.0 audio as everyone else. (Not a setting problem; other films play 5.1 just fine.)

With The Wind and the Lion my first viewing choice was iTunes (whose transfers are usually pretty good and the interface is my favorite). Unfortunately, while it was a 2.0 stream the Wind audio on iTunes is strictly mono, and rather tinny mono at that. Every other service had stereo; Movies Anywhere bumped it up to 5.1 (on Roku, but not Apple TV) and so did Fandango (which doesn't appear to have an app for AppleTV). I don't know if complaining to iTunes is considered proper, since I didn't 'purchase' it from them; it got there from VUDU via Movies Anywhere.

Maybe we need a thread that can track these flaws/benefits found in downloads from different providers.

16. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    There is actually a thread on Vudu's Forums listing all of the titles that have something wrong with them (aspect ratio, encoding errors, sound issues, etc.). Vudu has fixed *maybe* 10% of them, and only when tons of people complained. The LEGO Movie was one that got a ton of complaints, as it started letterboxed at 2.4:1, then zoomed in to 1.78:1. After numerous complaints on Twitter, Facebook, and the Vudu Forums, Vudu finally replaced their file with one that was OAR all the way through. Vudu's excuse (and one that just about every provider uses) was that it was the studio's fault and that is what the studio sent them. Good luck complaining to the service providers, as they like to send you chasing your own tail when problems arise with an encode or resolution format dispute.

Sam Posten and mark-edk like this.
  17. mark-edk

mark-edk Second Unit

Vudu's D-to-D program won't do you any good with titles that you don't have on disc. So there's no way I could use it for 'Blindfold' (Rock Hudson, Claudia Cardinale), not a great film but one I have a soft spot for. Today I noticed that iTunes has it on sale in HD for $4.99, actually 1 cent cheaper than a D-to-D conversion would have been. I had already bought the download (it looks pretty good) so I figured I'd mention it here in case anyone's interested. I did my very best to make a connection, however tenuous, to the thread topic.

18. Message #38 of 47 Jul 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    Garysb

Garysb Cinematographer

I decided to try Vudu Disc to Digital. Using my smartphone I went to vudu.com/disc . Following the instructions I took a picture of the bar code from the blu ray and then it finds the movie if it is eligible and you can buy the HDX digital copy for $2. Doesn't work for a lot of movies. No luck with third parties so no Criterion, Kino, Twilight Time, or Warner Archive etc . as far as I know. None of the ones I tried worked. Had the most success with Warner Bros. With Paramount I got Ghost, The Ten Commandments, and Three Days of the Condor. It didn't work with several others like Witness and Terms of Endearment. Didn't work with multi packs so I couldn't use the Marx Bros Universal set to get digital copies of the films . For Fox got a digital version of the Seven Year Itch that but no digital for The Ghost and Mrs. Muir. Great when it works ,frustrating when it doesn't. There doesn't seem to be any pattern. You never know which films will work. I was able to get a digital version of "Meet Me In St Louis" using the barcode from the original blu ray release even though the film is now at the Warner Archive.
    I haven't found any Disney or MGM(United Artist) films it works with. I tried to get West Side Story and The Great Escape and some of the Marvel films without luck. Glad the classic MGM films are with Warner Bros. I was informed on another site that when using the smartphone method there is 100 film limit per year, there is no limit using your computer instead of the phone, and some films available using one method are unavailable using the other. I have not confirmed any of this. I am just repeating what I was told.

Sam Posten likes this.
  19. Message #39 of 47 Jul 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    Cranston37

D2D is an Ultraviolet thing, so no Disney, MGM, Criterion, etc.

There are tons of available lists you can look through to see what is eligible so you don’t have to waste time scanning discs to see what works. Here is one...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1po70GCN9JUwrWgycMueNfxpEvBjLd7DQkiMRUQFFsL8/htmlview

Yep, Vudu says that right on the MD2D page ;)

20. Chip_HT

Chip_HT Second Unit

Chip
    Technically, I don't think D2D is directly tied to UV, as Fox movies still work, and they dropped UV a couple of weeks ago. I think it's basically that all of the studios that were part of UV at the time cleared their movies for D2D. Based on the wording in Vudu's FAQ, we all assumed that D2D "redeemed" an UV copy of the movie.

What is frustrating is knowing that a movie should work (and it comes up in the list), but the exact bar code of the version you have doesn't scan.