VTL Amps

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Earl J, Jul 11, 2002.

1. Earl J

Earl J Stunt Coordinator

Has anybody every heard of this company or own any of their products? It seems that whenever I read about their amps, it's for 2 channel audio only and never for home theater. Are tube amps only good for music and not home theater? Thanks.

2. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

Most of the time, tube amps for HT is not the best of combinations. For HT, you need a lot of power (depending on your speakers, of course) to get to reference levels of playback, and also you want to have as much neutrality and clarity as possible. With tube amps, you have to pay 3-10x as much for the same power as solid state amps, and they do not handle dips in ohms very well. Also, tubes generally sound a bit "warmer" than solid state, so they tend to sometimes augment the sound to make the sound seem more "life-like" So, unless you have an incredibly bright system or you can afford to put 7 channel of 200+ watt tube power, then it is best to stay with solid state for HT.
    As for VTL, they make really great, but lo-powered, tube amps. VTL stands for Vacuum Tube Logic, if I rememmber correctly.

3. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

What Chung said it pretty much right on, you probably don't want to use tubes for HT. VTL does make excellent equipment but I certainly wouldn't say they are low power. They actually make some of the more powerful tubes amps there are. Their amps range from 25 wpc to 1250 wpc.

4. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

I will have to disagree with the above to a degree.
    Tubes can do Ht well but I would only suggest them for the front two channels. I haven't seen a multi channel tube amp yet, so having three 2 channel tube amps seems a little excessive.
    However watts are overrated for a lot of speaker designs if they have a high enough sensitivity and an easy impedance curve. I have powered my fronts with tube amps ranging from 30 to 80 watts and could probably get by with as little as 20 and my speakers are only 89 dB and 4 ohm.
    Go to this site and read the article "How much power do you really need?" SMR Home Theatre

5. Earl J

Earl J Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the information everyone. I recently had the opportunity to demo some of their amps and was pleasantly surprised with their sound versus some solid state amplifiers. Granted this was only for 2 channel music. With DVD-Audio and SACD bringing multi-channel to different heights, I wonder what effect this will have on 2 channel music demand and for the tube amp industry as a whole.

6. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

7. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee