What's new

VTL 5.5 or Cary2002 (1 Viewer)

Gary Sedlack

Agent
I will be getting one of these units however living in Las Vegas we have no dealers. I am looking for input from owners of either of these units or anyone who may have done an A/B with either.

I have read lots about the units however reading only goes so far. I am looking for real world info.

Thank you Gary

Scott_N

Second Unit
I've had some experience with a Cary SLP-2002 and found it pretty neutral for a Cary preamp. It has a very good tubed headphone output if you are into headphones. The VTL can be had with a built in phono stage if you are into vinyl. What made you decide on these two preamps because there are quite a few good tubed preamps in this price range. I think the Cary SLP-98 is a better preamp than the 2002 and it retails for only a $100 more than the 2002 did. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Gary Sedlack

Agent
Scott,

They both have a cinema by pass and I have read lots of positive things about the VTL and Cary is a good name also they both have balanced outs and I will be running a very long length of IC to my amp when my set up is completed. By long 25 to 30 ft hence need balanced. If you have any other suggestions feel free to post them I have an open mind.

I agree with the 98 being better but no cinema by pass as I understand the unit.

Thank you

Gary

Scott_N

Second Unit
Well since you need balanced outputs the only other preamp I can think of right now is the BAT VK-3 and VK-40 but I don't know if they have a HT bypass. Your specific needs limit your choices but the 2002 and 5.5 are both good preamps and I doubt you would be unhappy with either. I think the Cary would be a little more neutral than the VTL.

Scott_N

Second Unit
It looks like the Audio Research LS16mkII has balanced outputs and HT bypass but but like the VTL I have very little experience with it though it is well thought of by the audio press.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
i might as well chime in and drop a nod for a supratek chardonnay. they retail at $1900+ depending on finish and configuration. there is a thread over on audiogon (1600+ posts long) praising supratek preamps. you can check out their site:

http://www.supratek.biz

i don't own a supratek, but i will be receiving one with the next two months i imagine. they are custom/hand built in australia by a one man operation so the lead time is quite long. however, everybody states that the wait is worth it in the end. i guess i'll know shortly.

kevin t

Gary Sedlack

Agent
The supratek looks very cool, but I don't think it would fit my needs. The ability by do cinema bypass. My room will have to serve dual purpose and there is something to be said for convience or should I say my laziness, I just don't want to be switching cabels back and forth. Also would like to stay within the $3500 max budget. Hence I am somewhat limited.

I have not looked at the Audio Research product yet but will do so.

Thanks for the input.

Gary

Scott_N

Second Unit
If you choose the Cary you will have to buy used or a dealer demo since Cary does not make the 2002 anymore.

Gary Sedlack

Agent
I know, so I will be going new with the VTL. For lack of a better term in just "feels" right. I wish I could say "sounds" right but I have never listened to one.

I did get a chance to listen to it's big brother 7.5 at CES along with the Wilson Maxx speakers, not a fair compairson to my humble set up.

I will likely post about it after my room addition is complet and up and running. I am sure it will provide better 2 ch than my B&K Ref 50 in direct mode.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
the supratek comes with a ht bypass option. however, the unit can only be configured with remote volume. you'll have to manually switch the ht bypass / other inputs. email mick ([email protected]) and he tell him everything you need. he'll usually email the next day with a quote. just bear in mind, that a supratek preamp will likely take 3-6 months to be delivered. ask mick about lead time as he can give you a better answer than i can.

kevin t

Scott_N

Second Unit
Gary

The 5.5 is a fine choice and VTL makes quality products so i'm sure you will enjoy it! As someone with an all tube 2-channel system including my CDP and phono preamp I know what tubes can do for music!

Cheers!

Gary Sedlack

Agent
I am not up to a 3-6 mo wait. The VTL dealer is in LA and if I have any issues at worst it is a 4.1/2 hr trip across the deset. They will ship as well and it is slightly better for me (no tax).

Thakns for all your input.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve Latshaw
Recent bookmarks