vtf-3 review (upgraded my pv-800)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Miles Abbey, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Miles Abbey

Miles Abbey Agent

I recently upgraded my subwoofer from a Boston Acoustics PV-800 to HSU VFT-3. After prolonged consideration between SVS PC-plus and HSU VTF-3 I decided on the VFT-3 mainly because of immediate availability and due to size constraints. My reason for upgrading the pv-800 was due to my dissatisfaction during heavy bass demands (it would bottom out), and it sounded kind of boomy during playback of music. I also felt like it didn't blend well with my mains (vr-m90's). I've had the VFT-3 for a week now and so far I have no complaints. I'm especially impressed how well this sub sounds musically! It blends very well with the mains and doesn't over power or distort at a variety of playback levels. It also adds a great since of depth to movies (LOTR!). I was listening to music last night while my wife was in the kitchen and she asked me what I was doing. I said nothing, but she persisted..."what is that sound? Are you tapping your foot on the floor?" I finally realized it was the sound of the kick drum being produced by the vtf-3. I'm hearing things from c.d.s I've owned for years, but never noticed before. Sounds are so detailed and visceral. This sub adds a sense of depth and realism I've lacked in the past. There is so much more impact during movies. I would rate this sub as an equivalent to the Velodyne HGS-12 during movies, while the HGS-12 is slightly more musical of the two. I don't consider myself an expert by any means, but I just wanted to add my two cents and recommend the HSU VTF-3 to those in the market for a high quality sub.

2. Sean D

Sean D Stunt Coordinator

Congrats on the purchase Miles. The VTF-3 is a very nice sub indeed.

3. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

Congrats, but its a VTF-3 rather than a VFT-3 [​IMG]

4. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

yummy. vr-m90 paired with vtf-3 is my dream system. miles, you are a lucky bastard!

5. Colin France

Colin France Auditioning

I agree the Hsu VTF-3 is an awesome subwoofer. Probably one of the best sounding musical subs around. Yet it can play loud. Great sub.