VTF-3: Port blocking..can anyone hear a difference?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Sloan, Oct 10, 2002.

1. Mike Sloan

Mike Sloan Second Unit

I am currently using (2) VTF3's and was trying to tell whether I could hear a significant difference between port blocking (+flipping switch to 20Hz)or leaving ports open/switch to 25Hz. I was using different scenes in Phantom Menace and frankly I could only detect a slightly higher output at the 25Hz setting. According to HSU, you will get response down to about 22Hz in "Max output" mode (25Hz position). Is this how most people run the VTF3? It says in the manual that it places less demand on amp and driver, as well. In Monsters Inc. there is a scene where the giant green bird is walking across the road at the light. This has very low information and I could not detect any lower freq....in "Max extension mode" just a slight decrease in overall output.....if there was lower information there it was extremely subtle...at best! Perhaps my ears are not up to the task!@#$:b

2. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Port blocking? I thought that was settled for now. [​IMG]
    Really, most material that seems "really low" probably isn't, and wouldn't sound all that much different in either mode. Max extension may sound somewhat smoother due to the shallower rolloff, and you'd probably hear a difference on organ music's really low pedal tones and certain effects.

3. Bolivar G

Bolivar G Second Unit

Should try out that Bass CD that comes with your vtf-3.
    It has some really low bass Organ music on it.