What's new

VTF-3 approaching distress? (1 Viewer)

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
I have been listening to the VTF-3 for a few weeks and the performance has been exemplary! I have set it in a corner, and for movies, this seems the best position. The room is huge with 18' ceilings and is open to the kitchen and dinning room. I have noticed that during some (base demanding) scenes of "Lord of the Rings" or the "Phantom Menace" an electric distortion "type" sound will come from the sub. This sound can only be heard if you are within a few feet of the sub. I would not describe this as a metal clacking sound but rather like a soft "crackling" sound that only occurs for an instant during extreme base heave scenes. I have the sub gain turned up only 1/4 of the way and the Denon 5803 LFE set to "0". Is the amp clipping or is the woofer exceeding it's Max extension? I will admit that the sub is putting out a huge amount of energy! I am very careful about dialing in the sub so as to not stress it but I find that I have to do this for every movie..and sometimes it may be doing this without my knowledge. Can this hurt the sub or the amp? Any ideas on what is going on. What are some of the characteristics that one hears when you approach the limits of the subwoofer? Now I am constantly worrying that I am overdriving the sub. I am new to the "subwoofer world" so please advise!

Thanks
Mike Sloan

JoeyT

Stunt Coordinator
sounds like amp clipping to me.

Btw, how do you like the VTF3 for music?

Ned

Supporting Actor
Sounds like you need a 2nd VTF-3 to fill your huge space.

Joe Wilmore

Stunt Coordinator
If the Denon goes into negative numbers on the sub setting, I would say you have it set too high.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks