VTF-2 crossover question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ScottAndrew, Feb 27, 2002.

1. ScottAndrew

ScottAndrew Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

I read that the VTF-2's frequency response is +/2 dB @ 25-125Hz. If I'm using a receiver with a 100hz crossover. Does that mean that my subwoofer will be called upon to reproduce frequencies up to 200Hz, and if so, will that sound awful?

I suspect that my understanding is incorrect, because that would mean that even users with an 80hz crossover would be using the subwoofer up to 160hz, and if that was a problem the VTF-2 wouldn't be so popular.

Can someone help me to get this straight?

Thanks,

Scott

2. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

No, just disable the Hsu's crossover and let the receiver do the signal splitting. I think the Hsu has a switch to turn it off. If not, just turn the crossover knob all the way up. What you want to avoid is cascading crossovers; you run into other problems there.

3. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

4. ScottAndrew

ScottAndrew Stunt Coordinator

Right, I understand that. I'll bypass the sub's crossover.

My question, though, is this: I understand that the receiver's crossover still sends some lower frequencies to the mains that roll off one octave lower than 100hz. Does it also send a lesser signal to the sub above 100hz? If so, will my sub be asked to reproduce frequencies up to 200hz, although at reduced levels? And if so, will the sound quality be noticeably diminished?

Thanks,

Scott

5. Mal P

Mal P Stunt Coordinator

Hi Scott,

Yes indeed, the sub will be playing frequencies an octave above 100hz, albeit at a gradulally reducing volume. This wouldn't cause a problem generally, as the signal roll-off should match the roll-off in the sub's ability to play at those frequencies.

Cheers,

Mal

6. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Scott,
    Thats what a crossover does. It lowers the level consistantly every octave. Say your 12db/octave low-pass is set at 100Hz, this means at 100 you get full signal, at 200Hz(1 octave up) the signal will be attenuated 12db, 400Hz will be att 24db, 800Hz 48dB and so on.
    So the level at 200Hz will be much lower than the level at 100Hz.
    Uderstanding this stuff yet?[​IMG] You will soon enough...
    Hope I helped more than confused[​IMG]