VT-3's anything like 3.3's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nick L, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

I was cruising through Audiogon and notices one of the shops there selling the VT-3 Five channel Home theater system. This made me wonder if the VT-3's were anywhere near the 3.3's. I haven't ever hear a VT-3 or 3.3, but I have had experiences with supertwo's and St-4's.

Just wondering how good the VT-3's are really.

Thanks for the help.

Nick L

2. Eric A

Eric A Second Unit

Nick,
    Unfortunately I have never heard the VT-3s but I have had the occasion to talk to NHT extensively on the subject. Hopefully I am helping you out by bumping the thread so others that I know have heard them can reply. Let me tell you what I know. When NHT set out to build the VT-3's they took a look at the 3.3's and see how they can improve upon them. A couple of things to mention, they were both handbuilt in matched pairs and were the only 2 NHT models to be built this way. 3.3s used woofers (12" and 6.5")custom built for them in Japan and midrange and tweeters from SEAS. VT-3's drivers were different and all manufactured in Denmark. So besides cabinet differences etc there will be a difference in overall timber. The things they "improved" upon was bass performance. 3.3's only needed help in this area because of placement issues. VT-3's were more flexible. Second they improved in the xover area. Ken Kantor did not believe in exotic xover parts throughout the xover. He did believe in them in certain areas. I think Bill Bush used higher grade parts throughout. The design goals and concepts were very close and most NHT speakers have that classic NHT sound so you would probably be splitting hairs in the details. I would jump at either system but I can tell you that when talking to NHT engineers I have learned that the majority of them still own 3.3's.

3. Kevin McCurdy

Kevin McCurdy Stunt Coordinator

In March/April 2002 issue of Stereophile Guide to Home Theater they were listed as AA under surround speaker systems. It looks like Stereophile reviewed them in the one of the January 2001 issues?

I always liked the looks of those speakers, but I never had a chance to hear them.

4. JohnWA

JohnWA Auditioning

I've owned VT3's , VR3's, and VC3 for a 2 1/2 years. I've never heard the 3.3's so I can't compare. Reviewers that have heard both, usually talk of the two as equals. The Stereophile Guide to Home Theater review was very positive. Having owned the 1.2's I can tell you that the VT3's are in a different league.

The VT3's come with a "VT Controller" which is a separate box that controls the VT3's bass management and "ambient" or rear drivers. I've read numerous stories of VT3's being incorrectly hooked up and/or calibrated which can make them hard to demo properly. The "controller" is designed for a separate processor and amplifier or for a receiver with pre-amp out and main in RCA jacks.

I can confirm what Eric said about a couple of things. The initial launch of the VT3 was delayed because Mr Bush was not happy with the initial xover electronics that the VT3's were going to be built with. Second they are matched. I had a tweeter go out and NHT sent me two brand new speakers.

Unfortunately I haven't heard a lot of similarly priced speakers to make any worthwhile comparisons. As far as a 5.1 Home Theater system, I can't imagine anything sounding much better.

Regards,
    John