What's new

VSX56TXi vs VSX1014TX (1 Viewer)

Dick Boneske

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry, but the 1014 is not THX certified--it is capable of THX decoding, which does not make it certified.

I don't know about most of you that have the 1014, but the THX settings are pretty worthless in my listening room, which is rather large. The THX reduction of high frequencies does make it sound like a theater system, but my goal is to have better sound than theaters have. Voices always sound muffled in any theater I've been to, including I-Max. Loud with boomy bass does not equate to accurate. Dolby 5.1 EX or DTS-ES settings really are outstanding with good program material, in my opinion.

Scott Lawrence

Stunt Coordinator

Sorry Dick, but you're wrong, the 1014 IS THX Select certified. Have a look at the product page:

1014 product page from Pioneer's site

You'll see very clearly that it's THX Select certified. It's listed in the specs, in the product description, the THX Select logo is on the product page, and also on the photo of the front of the receiver.

Thanks,
Scott.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
From Pioneer's page;

"This powerful, versatile receiver brings serious home theater performance. THX Select brings high-octane theater sound to typical TV rooms, for the best movie experience possible."

However you are right it is not THX certified as we have come to understand THX certifaction.

However I do agree that in my opinion THX does not help in the sound dept. IMHO. . .

BTW I noticed that if you set the speakers to small first then run auto EQ it certainly does a better job. Nice and sweet now if not a bit forward. . .Just how I like it. . .

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
Remember THX certified as it pertained to build quality?? Is there a difference? That is the certifaction I was thinking of. . .I see on the box where it shows THX Select. . .

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
If you want to be really cynical, Pioneer Japan has two top end models: the VSA-AX5Ai-N, and the VSA-AX10Ai-N. Those are sold as the Pioneer Elite VSX-59TXi and the VSX-56TXi.

There's also the VSA-AX3Ai, which is sold as the Elite VSX-54TXi in the states, and the VSX-2014i in Europe.

As has been stated before, the Elite VSX-52TXi is really the same thing as the VSX-1014, possibly with a few extras. I think the Elite folks added an RS-232 port, and a longer warranty.

Now, if you want to think that "Elite" means "hand built", or "lovingly tested", that's your business...

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
I would think "Hand Built" would be one hell of a lot more expensive than what you can buy one of these things for. Do I think they might select a few componets to upgrade and put a shiney black face on it then sell it for way more than it is worth? Certainly. . .

However I for one certainly do not think of the 56TXi as the "Holy Grail" but just a decent HT receiver that does a fine job at what it was built for. You can do a lot worse and depending on your perspective I am sure you can do better.

I did notice theb 52 on sale for 599.99. . . That was in a bust out retail Elite store. I can only imagine what you can buy it for at the known etailers for. Now for my money that is still not a bad deal. . .

Now being cynical what is different about Pioneer than any other brand. I mean they will load your wagon too given half a chance.

I think we are missing the point though. I could care less about their marketing stratgies. . All I am after is a decent HT receiver at a fair price regardless of what name is on it.

I started this thread about the differences between the two Pioneer receivers. I am not concerned about what is sold where as what rather can I live with what I bought here. And that answer is yes gladly. . .

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor

I doubt I can hear the bigger caps; perhaps the 56's stoutness is a result. I would think it is a result of the PS/Caps/processing upgrades/Auto EQ/etc. The 56 does sound "better"(poor choice of words).

If I had it to do over would I buy it or keep the 1014?? I will say that I would certainly think about it longer. . . I planned on buying the 56 as soon as it hit the market while I still had the 45. Better question is would I have sold my 45 if I knew then what I know now?? That answer would be I don't think so. . .

John S

Senior HTF Member
Not that I put much at all into the full THX Ultra II certification. But I put nothing into THX Select certification. So on merrit, I am inclined to agree with the 1014 is NOT THX certified. :)

ray tubach

Stunt Coordinator
how is it that you are persistent in the face of the THX.com website listing it as certified. am I not understanding you here? whatever your opinion of the certification may be, it remains that the company considers the receiver to be certified by them.

John S

Senior HTF Member
On merrit. I said....
THX Select is just a crock of *%^$#@ is all.

Sorry I wasn't more clear on it.
I didn't say it wasn't select certified. So in essence the statement is true as I posted it.

It isn't THX certified or THX Ultra II certified for that matter.

It is more my opinion of the so called THX Select Certification than any labling or listing of such by THX or otherwise.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor

I gotta say that the THX thing has in my opinion been overblown however I can see both sides of the issue. I think the "Standard" is a good thing where performance can be measured and some measure of consistency be obtained but I must say that it is not my favorite listening mode, not by a long shot.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
The THX spec might be a bit of a crock. However, if it were not implemented, we'd probably still be buying receivers with crossover points fixed @ 120Hz. :Q :Q

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
now that I have had about a week to get it right I think I have figured out how to set her up right (56) First I use the Normal setup and set the size to small and then after that I use the auto EQ. . .

She's starting to sound like a 1000.00 receiver now. the auto EQ alone works wonders. . .

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
Guy

I guess Im gonna have to play around with the auto EQ. Mind a couple of questions?

If I set the levels and distances in a manual setup, does running the auto eq program overwrite these? Or does it just adjust the eq.

Did you have to rebalance after eqing?

TIA

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor

The distances stay the same as you or the auto feature set them.

My trouble using auto-surround was that the receiver sets all speakers that will play down to 60hz as large then adds +6 to the 63hz on EQ. I found that going into "Normal" first and setting the speakers at "small" and my crossover at 50 or 80hz then I can use most all the "AUTO" features without resizing the speakers or adding +6 to the 63hz region. Some experiminting(sp) is in order.

I found a few things in the "PRO" settings that I was able to use as well. . .

Although my speakers are full range (except center) I still want them set at small as it requires much less amplifier power. Last night I played "U-571" at -10 during the "Depth Charge" scene and my friends who were watching with me about collapsed. . .LOL. . . That SVS PB12Plus/2 will crank. . .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks