What's new

VSX56TXi vs VSX1014TX (1 Viewer)

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
I just picked up my new 56TXi today and pulled out the 1014. Setup was a snap and in less than 10 minutes I was up and running again. . .

The differences are subtle, mostly when the rubber hits the road and you need the extra balls that the 56 has. Much cleaner, wider soundstage and a whole bunch of stuff I am still figuring out.

One thing is clear the 1014 would be damned hard to beat in a small room with some effecient speakers where you dont need the power. My room is 14x20 not big, not small but just right to see the differences. Are there 1000.00 dollars difference>?? Only time will tell. . . I know I already see some of the differences I was after and that was with a quick and dirty set-up and only one movie. Tomorrow is another day. . . I look forward to some play time then. . .

WOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!:emoji_thumbsup: :D

Steve_L

Stunt Coordinator
Cool, I'm guessing the 10014 has found a good home?

Nice to have some extra cash for the fine points. What you running for speakers?

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Guy, Thanks for providing some results of the comparison. It really proves of capable the 1014TX is. Plus, if a user wants to have a receiver with a few more capabilities and better performance for a larger room, the 56TXi comes into play.

Myself, I'm stuck in the middle with the 54TX - and quite content at the moment - which is a good thing for me when you look at all the receivers I've owned.

Shiu

Second Unit

Wayne, given your track record, I thought for sure you would not be able to resist the AVR7300 for only 1,399...less than 2/3 of its Canadian price.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
Day two. . . After about 1 hour of tinkering with the set-up menu I have this thing sounding pretty darned good. I use JBL Northridge speakers for the moment E100s for front and surrounds including rear surrounds and their C35 center. I guess it natural for the receiver to set them all at "Large" but I set them "Small" and set the crossover to 50hz. This seems to work best for me.

My 1014 would get grainy towards or close to reference but the 56 has shown nothing but clean smooth sound all the way up. I havnt played it at reference yet but I have been at -10 which is way too loud for me.

There are some differences in soundfields that I havnt made it all the way through. Looks like you can lay DPLIIx over DTS but I might be reading the manual wrong. I will check it out this afternoon.

Still for 90% of everyday use the 1014 has nothing to be ashamed of. . . I think most people would never know which one was playing.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Guy, I think to do this, you might need to:

- Define DLP IIx as the surround processing mode to user for THX Cinema, instead of Pro Logic or DTS Neo:6.

- From there, you would select the DTS track at the DVD player level.

- When the movie starts, select THX Cinema at the receiver level, and DPL IIx should be layed over the DTS track.

I don't think this is possible with the 1014, since it isn't THX certified, like the 54TX, 56TXi, etc.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
I read both manuals side by side and it showed DTS along with DPLIIx on the 56 but by the same token it showed where it was not an option on the 1014. . . Must be a different chip or something. . .

I have started noticing very subtle differences during playback on the 56 where it just seems more refined for lack of a better word. It just seems more natural to me.

Still if I had not been looking for all I'm worth I doubt I could tell the difference between the two with the exception of the 56's cleaner more powerful presentation.

I still say for a small room and effecient speakers along with a decent subwoofer you are hard pressed to beat the 1014 period.

I bought the 56 from a local retailer for 1250.00. . . So much for the 865.00 that I thought I could get it for. Funny how much they promised being a Elite dealer and all, but when I arrived to pick it up I was met with a "What do you want?" kind of attitude. So typical of all the "Uppercrust" retailers I have seen in the past. They do live in their own little world. Of course once you get a relationship established things change but why would you have to develop that relationship. I mean I get better treatment from online sellers and pay hundreds less to boot.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Guy,

I'd also let the 56TXi have about a good week of "burn in" before you make any critical judgements. The sound could vary a bit more once the burn in has concluded.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor

I understand. . . I let her rip all day today. I was surprised that she never got just over warm. The, or my 1014 runs much hotter getting almost hot to the touch. Same speakers running the same programming at the same level (-20) and a more than noticable difference in how "hot" they get.

My wife hears the difference more than I do. . . She was commenting on it at first. Funny as she was dead set against this from the start, now she is beginning to understand what I have been singing about. I just turned the 56 off (after 12 1/2 hours) and we discussed her merits so far. I think she's a keeper.

I sold my 1014 to a co-worker who picks it up tomorrow afternoon. I think we might have another convert on our hands.:emoji_thumbsup:

Dick Boneske

Stunt Coordinator
I understand "burning in" loudspeakers, but it's really a stretch to believe a solid state receiver will change how it performs the first time it's turned on or ten years later. No one has EVER shown objective proof of solid state electronics changing performace with hours of use.

With an A/B comparison, it is 100% likely that you could NOT distinguish the 1014 from the 56. You could own three 1014's for the cost of one Elite 56. The extra features the 56 has like multi-room are nice, but don't affect how it sounds.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Dick,

I'm not sure if I completely agree with your indication that the 1014 would sound the same as the 56TXi in blindfold testing. I'm not saying that it's impossible, but quite unlikely. The 56TXi has better processing chips, plus bigger capacitors. Maybe, at every-day levels, there would be little to discern. However, as Guy indicated, the 56TXi has more "room" at the upper end. So, if the testing involved higher-level listening, there would be quite a difference.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
As I stated earlier there is little difference between the two as far as sound goes except at higher volume levels. I know as I was very concerned about both with seemingly the exact ratings. One thing is clear ; amp draw on the 1014 is 480 watts while on the 56 it rises to 600 watts.

I am not a technecian but I know it has a power supply about 30% bigger and much bigger caps. better shielding etc. etc. All of this I observed with their covers off sitting on my table side by side. Not to mention it weighs about 10-12 pounds more and is about an inch higher. . .

The Elite boys will argue with you over the 56 but when asked about the 52 they too agree that the 1014 is the better buy. . .

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
Guy

I own a 56TXi also. Great reciever.

Have you used the auto calibration yet? I was very disapointed in it. Im curious to hear your reaction, as many here are very happy with the results of MCCAC. I found the everything to sound forced after running the MCCAC routine. Not to mention it boosted most frequencies to the max of +6.:frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

I-Link is great. I use a DV-47Ai and will never look back. SACD/DVD-A now has proper Bass Managment. Not to mention that the Ilink cable replaced 9 interconnects, the birds nest is almost gone.

Enjoy it

John S

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, recently ran a 1014 and a Denon 4802 head to head for a week or so.

My findings were almost identical. Near reference level, it really strained in my environment. I was afraid it was going to pop a driver somewhere on the speakers.

Your comparisons, as with mine aren't really fair. Just look at the price difference. I sent the 1014 back, at a minimum I needed it to have real power amp inputs.

While the 1014 is absolutely the best bargain out there right now, one really cannot expect it to compete with $1K+ units.

I have yet to be impressed by any equipment with the THX Select Cert.

John S

Senior HTF Member
You would probably have to just as the originator of this thread did, move up to a 56TXi for a significant improvement in performance.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor

I followed the menu through the professional settings and I too noticed some peculiar readings. After tweaking each channel it sounds much better. Biggest problem is that if your speakers have any output at 60hz the receiver calls it "Large" thereby putting the equalization in so stout.

1014 over the 52 but not the 54. . .

Biggest problem so far has been "Dropouts". . . Every time I turn the light on or off the audio drops out for about a second. Even the heater comming on causes a dropout. My 1014 or my 45 never showed this problem. However my DVD player is about 4 years old (Toshiba 4800) and I plan on replacing it. I use one other digital connection from my TV for local HD and no dropouts there.DD is fine comming from OTA HD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks