What's new

VSX-D912K Impressions (1 Viewer)

David Kyser

Agent
Picked up a Pio VSX-D912K after a lot of research. I own a first gen Pioneer surround reciever (no pro logic, no center, no sub out, just great dolby sound) so I guess I had high hopes buying a top of this line 2003 reciever (not counting the Elite line.)

I was not impressed, in the least.

#1 The amplification gave muddy mids, distorted highs and excellent bass.
#2 Overload, Overload, Overload, Big Infinity StudioMonitors, this thing shuts down at -25!
#3 Manual test tone didn't work
#4 no optical input for DVD

My old Pioneer was rated at 100 wpc, this is rated at 110 wpc, in comparison to the old reciever this has half the power at most. This may be a good reciever if you have smaller high impedance speakers, I don't, it's going back to BB tommorrow.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
To address #2, the receiver is only rated to handle 8ohm loads. 6ohm and 4ohm loads are not reccomended and this is probably causing your overload problems.

As for #4, the inputs are assignable so you can assign an optical input to DVD very easily.

#3 i have no idea about... most people use a calibration disc anyway.

#1 can be very subjective, but I had no quams about the quality of amplification from my 811S and 810S, both of which use the same amplification stage (older versions of the same receiver). It did great for HT and was acceptable for music. You have to keep in mind that this is still and entry level receiver.

As for power, the 850s, which also had the same amp stage, was tested by S&V at a true 68wpc with all channels driven, which is fairly respectable for something in this price range.

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
I think you are one of the few who do not like this receiver. I have had mine for 4 months and have no complaints at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks