VSX-D851S? If so, when?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JerryW, Jun 4, 2002.

1. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

Has anyone seen any info regarding the rumored D851S? Maybe even a projected release date?

2. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

What rumors? [​IMG]
    I have not seen any information regarding this. Also, I didn't really see a big difference between the 850S and the 810S. There were a few minor differences but nothing major. Does anyone know for a fact that the 850S used better internal components than the 810S? Maybe Pioneer has simply consolidated the line so the 811S encompasses the same price point as the 810S and 850S did last year.
    cheers,
    --tom

3. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

Well, the D851S is supposed to be like the D850S but adds DPL2, DTS NEO6, DD EX, 192kHz/24-bit DACs, 12V DC trigger, 3 Coax and 3 Optical inputs, and might have 7 channels of amplification at 120W /ch @8ohms... and all for about $450 street. Looks like it might be the budget receiver to get in the coming season. My dad's going to buying something soon and this looks like what I've been waiting for.

4. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Jerry, do you have any links to press releases regarding it? Or any other links?

It sounds very similar to the 811S except for the possible 7th channel of amplification and I'd assume the better L/R front DACs - 192Khz/24bit - although I'm not really sure when and how that makes a difference. i.e. what sources can take advantage of that?

cheers,

--tom

5. chiante

chiante Agent

haven't heard much on the 851s, but a friend and myself found that our 850s receivers actually have dd-ex. for some reason pioneer did not list this in the manual. on some consumer review sites, there are others that have discovered that their 850s supports dd-ex as well.

6. StevenK

StevenK Second Unit

yeah, the 850s and 810s had an unlicensed pioneer 6.1 algorithm....apparently worked very well.

7. chiante

chiante Agent

supposedly lucas,ltd and dolby labs weren't to happy with pioneers 6.1 algorithm of which they wanted to use their own moniker instead of thx-ex or dolb ex. they opted not to include it in the manual or on the box to prevent lawsuits.

8. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

Basically, I'd get the 850S, but it doesn't have DPL2 and my dad will be using the receiver for quite a bit of TV and VHS viewing. Well, maybe the 811S will be ok, but I'd like to get something with a few more features.

9. chiante

chiante Agent

good thinking jerry. i don't incorporate my vcr into my ht. i probably have about 15 movies on vhs, so dpl 2 was not needed, that's why i got the 850s.