VSX-D812 analogue blip

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Dave - A, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Dave - A

Dave - A Stunt Coordinator

Dave
    Hi Everyone,

This is my first ever post and I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I have a Pionner VSX-D812 receiver and a DV-563A universal player. The problem I'm having is when the volume is quite high (which it has to be when playing certain SACDs) there is a 'pop' or 'blip' sound coming through all the speakers when loading or ejecting a disc - through the analogue outputs. Is this due to the budget nature of the player or do I have some kind of problem here? I hope I explained this well enough.

Thanks,
    Dave

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

That sound does not seem right at all. Most receivers would not produce such a sound. Maybe, something is starting to fail with yours.

Normally, "blips" can be experienced with certain separate power amps that are used to power speakers or subwoofers. Since you don't have such, I think the issue is with the receiver. You might want to check into getting it looked at.

3. Dave - A

Dave
    Hi again,

If anyone else has these two units could you please test this out? It's very noticeable at volumes of -30db and higher on the analogue 7.1 output.

Thanks,
    Dave

4. Al (alweho)

Al (alweho) Second Unit

Dave, I have a 912k and a 563a - and I don't have your problem. I would think the 912k is close enough to your 812k to be able to compare.

Now maybe you can help me out - do you sometimes get a brief burst of static when you switch from a SACD disc to a DVD-A for audio playback? I get one every once in a while, but it seems random.

5. Dave - A

Dave
    Al,

I don't get the burst of static you're talking about. I'm beginning to wonder how well made these Pioneer components are though!

Dave

6. PierreN

PierreN Auditioning

I too, have the 912 & 563a ...but haven't experienced any of the stated problems ... Not much help here, just thought I'd chime in since I have similar equipment. Good luck !

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The first thing I would recommend you check are all your speaker connections to make sure you don't have any accidental shorts.

What you didn't mention is what speakers you are using and in what size room. Popping or static like sound often means you are pushing the receiver too hard and are reaching distortion levels. You are running the risk of damaging your speakers if that is the case. I auditioned the 811/41Tx and found it to be lacking in power, and I'd expect the 812 to be similar in terms of amp section.

8. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Dave: I don't own a Pioneer 563, but I have distinctly heard those fast little pops of static sometimes on a 563 at a local CC's surround music demo system I "helped" to set up (let's put it this way: the unemployed have lots and lots of spare time on their hands........) and have been using for almost five months now. And this one is also connected via its analog outputs. I am 99.9% sure it was the player because I don't see how the receiver could be responsible for such a noise.

Dvd players are basically single-purpose computers and a universal one has even more crammed into its cabinet with all those extra audio parts and their associated software and switching circuits to operate them. And at the 563's price point I am not surprized in the least that it doesn't operate One Hundred Percent Perfectly.

So yes Dave I personally think it is the budget nature of this player that is causing the problem you are asking about.

Companies these days are being pressured to offer more and more features but sell them at ridiculously cheap prices (a very unrealistic request in my opinion); something has got to eventually give and I think we are seeing that happen now. I am not making an excuse for Pioneer because I see this happening with all types of products, from cars to Internet service providers to education.

And on a side note: if that upcoming Yamaha $400 universal player really only weighs seven pounds AND knowing Yamaha's high quality standards, to get the player to sound good, operate properly and be reliable too, did the chassis department receive a memo from the marketing division about being reeeeeeally frugal with this player's cabinet?

I'll bet if Radio Shack offered a 5.1 switch box I bet they would sell very well.

LJ

9. Dave - A

Dave
    Thanks everyone, for your input. It seems I'm not the only one with the audio noises.

Dave

10. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

may father has an 812 and will sometimes turn it up to around -15 for movies and he has no problems.