VSX-D811S with 6 Ohm Fronts?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Graham Martin, Sep 10, 2002.

1. Graham Martin

Graham Martin Stunt Coordinator

Per my previous post I am trying to satisfy my upgrade bug with not much $$ left in the wallet. I saw someone mention to watch out if I get the Pioneer 811 if my fronts are 6 Ohms. I checked and the BIC V604s I use for Front L/R *are* 6 Ohms while the center BIC V52CLR and surround V52's are 8 Ohms.
    What, if any, issues will I have with this receiver and my speakers?
    Thanks again!

2. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

That was me. I bought my daughter a Dahlquist system and later read the manual and found the speakers were 6 ohm.:b

The 811 went into overload for me, but it may not for you. I was able to take it back and very convieniently trade it in for a Yamaha that would handle the speakers. You could always try it if you buy it from a place that will take it back if it doesn't work well. I did like all the features of the 811 and really wish I could have kept it. I am going to buy a Pioneer Elite receiver for myself, so it's not like I have a hidden agenda against Pioneer.

3. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

I know my Pioneer VSX-D510 does not like 6ohm speakers, I'd imagine that the same is true for the 811.

4. Graham Martin

How disappointing... I thought my search was over. Well, looks like I either need to get new speakers or get a different amp.

Any suggestions on a 811 competitor that will handle 6 Ohm fronts?

5. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Whether the Pioneer will handle your 6 ohm speakers is going to depend on how loud you play them at, how big your listening area is, where you listen and what their sensitivity rating is. The lower the ohm rating means, in essence, the less resistance there is in the actual circuit thus the amplifiers are compelled to supply more power.

I regularly power two pairs of CSW Newton M50 bookshelves in parallel off of the front channels on my 811S. This presents a 4 ohm load to the receiver but I never had had any problems. Of course, we also don't listen at ear bleeding levels. I doubt I'm asking the receiver to supply more than a handful of watts. I also only do this in stereo mode.

I also have a friend who has a Pioneer VSX-D510 who has two sets of fronts wired in parallel (old "towers" and a pair of bookshelves) - both are 8 ohm speakers but since they are wired in parallel they present a 4 ohm load to the receiver. He says things are plenty loud for them and he hasn't had any problems and he does this in full 5.1 surround mode.

As they say, your mileage may vary.

cheers,

--tom

6. Kevin Parker

Kevin Parker Stunt Coordinator

I had 2 6 ohm speakers connected to 811s as rear surround for couple a days, it didnt give me any problems but never tred 6 ohm as front.

7. Graham Martin

Thanks for the extra info. It is a small room and I mostly watch movies. I try not to listen too loud, probably around 65-70db on the test tones.

I iwll let you know how it goes.

8. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

Graham,

It wouldn't hurt to try, just make sure the store you buy it from will let you take it back if it doesn't work out. They may want you to exchange it for another receiver that they carry or charge you a restocking fee, so just be prepared. What store are you looking at and what other brands do they carry?

9. Graham Martin

I was considering OneCall.com, but I live 2 minutes from a Best Buy that carries them for about the same price one you factor shipping. iwill probably test out from best Buy since they have a 30 day return policy.