What's new

VSX-D811S or SA-HE100K (plus 6.1 vs. 5.1 question) (1 Viewer)

JohnGoggan

Stunt Coordinator
I'm trying to decide on a lower-end receiver. I had actually set my budget at about $200, but can't find what I want in there -- especially after shipping is added on.

I currently have a Sony HT-DDW740 HTiB setup (5.1) that I got about a year ago (and have been fairly happy with). However, I've just bought a RPTV (the Hitachi 57UWX20B) and I'm upgrading some things to go along with it. One of those things is my DVD player -- I'm buying the Panasonic DVD-XP30. The Sony receiver that came with the HT-DDW740 setup has one optical and one coax input. I have a DishPVR with an optical output going into it -- as well as my old DVD player with a digital coax output. The XP30 is optical out -- plus I'd like to add an XBox to the mix. So, in the end, it looks like I'll have at least 3 devices with optical outputs (DishPVR, XBox, XP30). So, even though I'm not that unhappy with my Sony HTiB receiver quality-wise, I need to upgrade it just for connection reasons, at least.

That being said, I'm still fairly cheap. :) It looks like I can get the Panasonic SA-HE100K for about $250 shipped -- and it has 3 optical inputs. The Pioneer VSX-D811S is a bit more expensive (I've seen it at about $310 shipped on EBay as "new") -- and has 4 optical inputs (3 on the back and 1 on the front, I believe). But, is really blowing away my budget...

So -- any suggestions on where to go from here? Should I just break my budget by $50 and go with the SA-HE100K? Or should I splurge for the Pioneer? Or maybe something else?

Note that I don't have cash to upgrade speakers at this time. That means I'll be stuck with the Sony HTiB 5.1 setup.

Also, as a 6.1 newbie -- with the Pioneer -- is the 6th speaker required? Or can it be "told" that it is in a 5.1 setup until the time that I bought the rear center if I indeed went that route?

Thanks for your time and suggestions!

- John...

Chris Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
-
Also, as a 6.1 newbie -- with the Pioneer -- is the 6th speaker required? Or can it be "told" that it is in a 5.1 setup until the time that I bought the rear center if I indeed went that route?
In the setup menu, you tell it how many speakers you have, and it will output sound to those speakers accordingly.

Users who are viewing this thread