What's new

VSX-D711 volume can never go to 30dB. (1 Viewer)

chun howe

Stunt Coordinator
i roughly tested the receiver with SPL meter at 2 meters away pointing 45 degree towards ceiling.

my speakers are mini monitor with 90/87 efficiency.

at 60dB on vsx-d711, SPL reading is fluctuating on 76dB +/- 3dB. i caculated based on mini's efficiency, receiver is only using 0.125W.

at 50dB on vsx-d711, SPL reading is fluctuating on 88dB +/- 3dB. i caculated based on mini's efficiency receiver is only using 1W.

at 40dB on vsx-d711, SPL reading is fluctuating on 100dB +/- 3dB. i caculated based on mini's efficiency receiver is only using 32W.

at hypothetical situation, say 30dB on vsx-d711, SPL reading WOULD BE fluctuating on 114dB +/- 3dB. using 512W.
besides, mini specs say max input power is 80W, volume at 30dB on vsx-d711 is not achievable.

experts correct me if i am totally off track on this one.

all measurements are 2 meters away from two speakers. i played lone star CD with stereo mode & loudness activated.

Lee Carbray

Second Unit
How did you do your calculations? I am not familiar with the lone star CD, is it music? You are probably better off using test tones or pink noise and taking the measurements at 1 meter to keep consistent with the rated sensitivity specs.

chun howe

Stunt Coordinator
lee: where to get the pink noice? is it similar to avia calibration disk? yes it's just a music CD. the measurements from SPL meter is not very accurate as the music has its dB ups and downs. i kind of ball park the maximum the SPL needle pointing to.

the mini spec on efficiency is base on 90/87dB@1W/1m. am i right? if so i messed up my calculations. will have to redo the experiment with the use of pink noise and SPL meter set at 1 meter away instead of 2m.

Lee Carbray

Second Unit
the mini spec on efficiency is base on 90/87dB@1W/1m
Yes this is correct. The 90db refers to in room and the 87db would be anechoic. And I assume that is with one speaker running.

Pink noise is exactly what is on the AVIA disk. Try using that instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks