VSX-D711 volume can never go to 30dB.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by chun howe, May 28, 2003.

1. chun howe

chun howe Stunt Coordinator

i roughly tested the receiver with SPL meter at 2 meters away pointing 45 degree towards ceiling.

my speakers are mini monitor with 90/87 efficiency.

at 60dB on vsx-d711, SPL reading is fluctuating on 76dB +/- 3dB. i caculated based on mini's efficiency, receiver is only using 0.125W.

at 50dB on vsx-d711, SPL reading is fluctuating on 88dB +/- 3dB. i caculated based on mini's efficiency receiver is only using 1W.

at 40dB on vsx-d711, SPL reading is fluctuating on 100dB +/- 3dB. i caculated based on mini's efficiency receiver is only using 32W.

at hypothetical situation, say 30dB on vsx-d711, SPL reading WOULD BE fluctuating on 114dB +/- 3dB. using 512W.
    besides, mini specs say max input power is 80W, volume at 30dB on vsx-d711 is not achievable.

experts correct me if i am totally off track on this one.

all measurements are 2 meters away from two speakers. i played lone star CD with stereo mode & loudness activated.

2. Lee Carbray

Lee Carbray Second Unit

How did you do your calculations? I am not familiar with the lone star CD, is it music? You are probably better off using test tones or pink noise and taking the measurements at 1 meter to keep consistent with the rated sensitivity specs.

3. chun howe

chun howe Stunt Coordinator

lee: where to get the pink noice? is it similar to avia calibration disk? yes it's just a music CD. the measurements from SPL meter is not very accurate as the music has its dB ups and downs. i kind of ball park the maximum the SPL needle pointing to.

the mini spec on efficiency is base on 90/[email protected]/1m. am i right? if so i messed up my calculations. will have to redo the experiment with the use of pink noise and SPL meter set at 1 meter away instead of 2m.

4. Lee Carbray

Lee Carbray Second Unit

5. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

your reciever should also have a built in pink noise generator i.e. the test tones.