vsx-54tx vs. rx-v2500

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by DerrikW, Nov 1, 2004.

1. DerrikW

DerrikW Stunt Coordinator

Finally decided to upgrade my pioneer 811. These are the two I've been looking at. They are about the same price online, the yammy's a little more, but not much. Any thoughts on these two receivers? How does the YPAO compare to the MCACC? Which of the two has a stronger amp section? I know the yamaha is rated higher, but we all know how some of these companies rate their stuff. It will be used for about 90%HT/10%music. Any other receivers in this price range I should look at? I'm open.

Either of these will be a giant step up in terms of power compared to my 811. Just kinda curious which one would have more actual power. All 7 speakers driven simultaneously. The room is pretty big and open on 1 side.

Anybody ever done a comparo between the YPAO and the MCACC? That's kinda got me curious too, to see if the YPAO can keep up the MCACC which has a few years on it.

Thanks.

Fronts. Monitor 7's.
    Center. CC-370
    Surrounds. Mini's all the way around, including surround backs.
    Sub. ps-1200.

2. Jake S

Jake S Stunt Coordinator

Ypao messes up phase way more than it should, Mcacc seems to be a bit better in implementation. Mosfets on 54 should provide a smoother warmer sound than Yamaha's amp section .I had found Elites to lack balls in the past but the power supplys and caps in this years models seem to have more punch than the Yammies.
    imho...ymmv....etc,etc....

3. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

The Yamahas have been known for putting out much less than their rated power. The 2400 was tested by S&V at about 35watts per channel w/ all driven. Similar model Elites have been tested at anywhere from 90% to 110% of their rated power. This won't make a huge difference in the real world (4db difference at the most) but more headroom is always nice and greatly decreases the likleyhood of cliping and possibly damaging your speakers.

4. TimMc

TimMc Stunt Coordinator

You know what? They're both really good units! [​IMG]

TruthInAdvertising: I do not have either the latest 2500 nor a 54Tx hooked up to the same speakers today. I have a 2400 in the "big room" and an Elite in the den. They wound up that way just 'cause - and they might get swapped next week just 'cause.

Don't pay too much attention to the watts per channel stuff - both units do a very acceptable job and literally no program material expects 100Wx7 driven simultaneously. If you can listen to both in a blind A/B that would be best (sorry - I'm too lazy and cheap to acquire all of the right stuff to do a blind test properly and I don't need one now, anyway). The 2400 seems to play a little louder than the Elite but there are sooooo many variables to that that you can probably discount anything other than which unit's features best suit your needs. And if you're still really, really concerned about power you can always get a reasonable used 2-channel amp for the mains and let the receiver power everything else. I did that, too - and you know what? 99+% of the people who listen to my pseudo-A/B (w/ & w/o external amp) cannot tell any real difference.

Oh, yeah - I've also driven Monitor-7's, CC, & mini's for surrounds, with both Yamaha & Pioneer - and both did just fine. There are differences, but IMHO those are fairly subtle and are purely personal preferences so you really should listen to both to see if you personally like one that much better (or can even tell any difference ;~).

The best part? With either one, you really can't lose. Both are very fine units.

5. DerrikW

DerrikW Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the opinions guys. Much appreciated.

Stephen,
    You said that you really couldn't tell a difference in the quality of sound and output over your 43tx, correct? After reading a couple of the other threads about the 1014 I have this idea flopping around in my head about getting the 1014 over 54tx, and saving myself a couple hundred bucks. You also said that in your opinion the extra couple extra features that you get with the 54 wasn't worth it over getting the 1014. So I maybe just decide to get that instead. I'm sure the 1014 would be a major jump up over the 811 as far as output and features goes. The 811 just doesn't do it. It's in need of some steroids that's for sure.

6. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

For me it wasn't worth the price. The 1014TX has a very solid amp section. The 54TX may offer a slight edge in amplification but not worth the price difference. If there were no 1014TX and I was comparing the 52TX and 54TX I would probably go with the 54TX because the price difference is much less. The 1014TX just offers a huge value advantage.