VSX-49TXi or VSX-47TX to use with DV-47Ai....need input/advise!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alan Pummill, Jan 1, 2003.

1. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

Hi Gang,
    I've recently upgraded to an Elite PRO-620HD HDTV and an Elite DV-47Ai DVD player. I want to upgrade from my current Elite VSX-09TX to either an Elite VSX-49TXi or VSX-47TX.
    What will I gain/lose with the i.link on the VSX-49TXi?
    BTW, I have a Carver AV-705x 5-channel amp bi-amping my Paradigm Monitor 7 fronts, with the 5th channel driving my CC-350 center. The Monitor 3 rears are driven by the VSX-09TX receiver.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated![​IMG]

2. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

The i.link connection on the 49TXi will give you bass management capabilities for SACD and DVD-Audio playback, and will reduce your cabling from six analog cables to a single cable.

The 47TX (which I own) provides no bass management capabilities via its 7.1 channel analog input. You must rely on the bass management and channel level capabilities of your source component for DVD-A and SACD playback.

3. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

You also won't have any unnecessary D/A -> A/D ->D/A conversions, with the i.Link you get just one D/A conversion. The TXi will give you a much better sound.

Daniel Smith

4. Alan Pummill

Thanks guys! The 49TXi was what I had in mind when I bought the 47Ai.

I have not heard SACD or DVD-A music yet, what is you take on these 2 formats. I've read about the increase in available titles with these formats. Do you think they will take hold as widely accepted formats?

5. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

6. Scott Merryfield

Alan,

I do not think either hi-res format will ever become mainstream, but the number of titles being released in each format is getting better. I have both SACD and DVD-A, and as Dan stated, the weakest link will be the source material. Some titles sound wonderful, while other releases are not much improvement over the current CD release.

Do some searches on the "Music" forum here at HTF. There are several threads with recommendations for quality music in each format.

7. Alan Pummill

Thanks for the input people. Will my current configuration allow me to experience either of these formats??

8. Scott Merryfield

Alan,

If your current Elite receiver has 5.1 analog audio inputs, you can listen to both SACD and DVD-Audio by connecting the 5.1 outputs of the DV-47i to them. This is how almost everyone listens to high-res music today, since only a couple of manufacturers have released player/receiver combos with proprietary multi-channel digital audio connections (such as the Pioneer combo you are considering). Denon has a similar offering with their 5803 receiver and 9000 DVD player.

9. AustinKW

AustinKW Stunt Coordinator

Scott,

This is misleading information.

The Pioneer implementation of 1394 (iLink) is INDUSTRY STANDARD and will interoperate with any manufacturer's product that is built to the 1394 A&M protocols (none currently available - look to CES in January for future product announcements). It is NOT proprietary.

Denon, on the other hand, has chosen a PROPRIETARY link call Denon Link and has already had to patch it to handle encryption coding - the "SE" (Second Edition) version. Furthermore, the Denon setup handles DVD-Audio but not SACD. I would expect Denon to be switching over to the iLink system in the very near future.

Austin