VSX-49TX upgrade

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Evelio Figueroa, Feb 4, 2003.

1. Evelio Figueroa

Evelio Figueroa Second Unit

The upgrade for the 49TX has now started.

Here is the link.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pi...,92609,00.html

If you can't get to the link, here is what it says.

2. BobRoulier

BobRoulier Second Unit

Nice, so much for all those critics that said receivers are not upgradable[​IMG]

Bob

3. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

Bob, Onkyo has offered 2 upgrades to the TX-989 already.

4. Evelio Figueroa

Well, I shipped out my 49TX from the authorized dealer here in town. Pioneer will reimburse the dealer for the UPS 2 day air. Pioneer also asked it to be insured for $3,000. I'm so glad I kept the original box.

5. Mark Yatchak

Mark Yatchak Agent

Evelio,
    You are the first person I have seen on the the various forums upgrading your receiver. A lot of us have been thinking about it. This is exciting. PLEASE, come back to this thread or start a new thread telling us the details. I will also be anxious to here how many days you have to live without it. That will be tough. I do have an older Denon 3200 which I could dust off if needed. Actually, that would be interesting listening.
    I hereby elect one Evelio Figueroa the official Home Theater Forum Guinea pig [​IMG]

6. Evelio Figueroa

7. Evelio Figueroa

Just a quick update.

According to the UPS tracking, Pioneer has received my 49TX Monday, February 10th. I called Pioneer at that 800# in my 1st post to see if it arrived ok. But according to the records, its not in thier system. They did tell me it takes up to 48 hours before its on thier computers. When/If you call Pioneer, they will ask for your serial#. (Make sure you get the serial# before you send it.) It also helps if you get the UPS tracking# from your dealer in case they ask for that also.

I'm not sure if they worked on my 49TX as soon as it arrived. There could be a few receivers ahead of mine. Who knows. I should know more later on today or Friday.

8. Evelio Figueroa

Ok, my 49TX is at the Pioneer warehouse currently awaiting evaluatuion. I hope I can get it back by next Friday. [​IMG]

Once I do get it back, I can test everything but the i-link. I don't have a DV-47Ai. Just the DV-47A.

9. Evelio Figueroa

Okay, got some more info. The "turn around time" is 5 business days. It doesn't include the trip there and back. So you're looking at a possible 2 weeks. Maybe less. Tomorrow (Friday the 14th of February) will be one week that I was without my 49TX. I'll post here again when I get my unit back.

10. Evelio Figueroa

I called Pioneer to find out the stats of my 49TX. Its all packed up and awaiting shipment. I hope UPS picks it up today. (Friday, Feb 21,2003) I should get it back by Wednesday the latest.

Man, I'm so excited, I can hardly contain myself!! [​IMG]

11. Mark Yatchak

Mark Yatchak Agent

Thanks for sharing the information Evelio, I too, am anxious for you to get it back. Have you had to watch your TV with the TV speakers? Actually, do TV's even have speakers? [​IMG]

12. Evelio Figueroa

13. Evelio Figueroa

Well, my 49TX is here in town. It was delayed one day because of bad weather. It should arrive at my dealer later on today. (Feb 26) I'm going to go ahead and purchase a DV-47Ai and sell off the DV-47A. Anyone interested in the 47A? I think $500 should do. Plus shipping and handling.

I'll post a review later to see how it performs after the upgrade. I'll also update my site with pics of the upgraded 49TX with i-link.

14. Evelio Figueroa

[​IMG] ITS HERE!! [​IMG]

Ok, I don't know how to do a review so bare with me.

After hooking up the 47Ai, I thought the i-link in the 49TX display will light up. NOPE!! A rectangle lights up instead. Click here to see it.

I'm still learning how to operate the 47Ai and the 49TX. If you have questions, feel free to ask. I'm going to go back and see what else my 49TX can do!! I'll be back to post more.

15. Evelio Figueroa

If you didn't see the pics in the link I provided, its up now. I goofed on the html.

16. Evelio Figueroa

I'm not any good at reveiws so I'll do my best.

I'll just review the added features.

The i-link works perfectly. The 49TX takes all sound modes from the DV-47Ai. (DD, DTS, DTS96/24, SACD, DVD-A, ETC) The 47Ai knows its a 49TX in its display.

The MCACC took a bit longer than usual. Other than that, it runs fine.

The manual clearly explains the new features. Make sure you read through it. Operations may differ slightly from the original 49TX.

The standard EX mode is a changed feature. I'm not sure what it is. It says its changed in the manual. (Still need to read into that.) Also changed is the Channel level, Speaker distance, and signal input.

If you have questions, just ask. I'll try to answer.

17. Ron Newsome

Ron Newsome Stunt Coordinator

In EX mode the back surrounds are derived from the side surrounds, as oppossed to the SX mode, where the back surrounds duplicate the side surrounds.

Doesn't it feel good to get rid of all those extra cables and just use one. And doesn't it really feel good not to have to worry about all those SACD/DVD-A Bass Management/Time Alignment issues that everyone else is complaining about!!![​IMG]

[​IMG]I Love My Pioneer![​IMG]

18. Evelio Figueroa