vsx-45tx on the way, speaker reccomendations?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Christ Reynolds, Oct 16, 2002.

1. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i know this is usually done in reverse (i think), but i have the pioneer elite vsx-45tx receiver on the way, and i need speaker reccomendations. my room is about 15x15. i wont be cranking it up too loudly all the time, but i would like something that has a little punch to it. about 85/15 ht/music. i have the center stage from cambridge soundworks, and my rears are also from csw. my fronts are these old sony bookshelf speakers (ss-h550) from about 8 years ago, which still sound, well, not all that bad. and i'll need a rear center, for 6.1. my budget is flexible, meaning i'll be flexing it to accomodate the speakers that i like. any suggestions? thanks
    CJ
    http://www.hifi.com/store/category.c...xxx&type=store
    http://www.hifi.com/store/category.c...age&type=store

2. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

What do you have in your area that you can audition?

3. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Unless you're planning on getting all new speakers sometime soon (which would be a good idea if possible, since your receiver will largely outclass the speakers you have now), i would simply get the cambridge center to match what you currently have.

That said, it might be a good idea to just hold off until you can replace everything, since your current speakers will really be holding back that 45TX and when you do get it, i think you'll see that to get the most out of it, new speakers will be the way to go.

If you do look at all new speakers, look at the $1000 diva package and add another pair of 2.1s for a 7.1 setup. I think for the $$ this would be a great setup and really bring that 45TX to life. Paradigm Monitor or Studio series would also be a great way to go, but from what i hear, the Diva's have the market cornered on bang for the buck. If i had $1500 for speakers, that's the way i would go.

4. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ

5. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I thought you were asking what speakers you should add to complete your rear sound stage? If that is your question, and you can't wait until you can replace everything, i would add another pair to match your current surrounds for a 7.1 setup.

If you can wait, i would heavily suggest replacing everything with Divas, Paradigm, or if you're looking for something less expensive, the JBL S or even the N series.

Hope this helps.

6. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

Stephen has some good suggestions. I was thinking of a Rocket set up for the family room. The JBL Studio series is a good option. You can buy those online at J&R for a good price. Do you and some buddies feel like a road trip to Canada? Paradigm, PSB, Energy, Mirage, Axiom, Dahlquist, Athena and others all offer good intermediate levels of speakers that would be in the $1-2,000 range.

I know what you mean about snobby salesmen. Go at an off time during the week when they are not busy and just act cocky yourself. At least look in the yellow pages or call them up to see what they have. Then we can at least tell you some options to go look at. Don't bother looking at what you can't afford. (I made that mistake with my last girlfriend:wink: )