What's new

vsx-45tx dd-ex flag? (1 Viewer)

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
for some reason, i cant get the dolby digital ex flag to show up on my 45tx. i realize the discs may be improperly labeled, or the flag may not have been set by the encoder. however, i find it hard to believe that either of those were the case for all the discs ive tried.

lord of the rings
star wars ep 1
maniac
t2
monsters inc
seven

a few others that i cant think of now, but its never shown up. dts es shows up every time. i highly doubt my new receiver is faulty, anyone know what it could be?

DanielSmi

Second Unit
Chris you are gonna have to beleive it because it's the truth. Right now there are only 2 DD-EX discs that are correctly flagged. Neither of them where on your list. One is "Jurassic Park III" and I think the other is "Atlantis", I'm not sure on the second one though. Yeah I know it sux.

Daniel Smith

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
Chris:

Do you have 6 or 7 speakers set up? If you don't the flag won't show up.

Mine shows up on every DD movie even the ones not in DD-EX. when I have all seven speakers going.

Mike

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
thanks for the info daniel, as long as its not my receiver, its not that bad. of course it still sucks though.

Do you have 6 or 7 speakers set up? If you don't the flag won't show up.
as of right now, i only have a 5.0 setup here. however, not all dd-ex tracks are 6.1, and the majority of discs i tried were dd-ex 5.1.

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
Christ:

I agree I played DVD's that were DD-EX so called 5.1. But, the Pioneer does not recognize this unless you have the additional speakers. It doesn't affect the sound.

As soon as you put the additional speakers in you'll get DD-EX or THX Surround EX as the flag regardless of whether the track is recorded in it or not. Now you can turn off the back speakers and the flag will drop.

Great receiver ! I luv my 45!

Mike

DonT

Stunt Coordinator
i think you guys are confusing "flags" with "rear speaker" lights. the only dvd that has shown up on my denon 3802 is jurassic park III with the dolby digital ex flag. cast away is dd-ex but the flag does not show up.

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
There could be some confusion over the word FLAG.

I mean by that in the display on the 45 you get DD-EX, DTS-ES, or THX Surround EX. Again these come up with 7 speakers working even if the DD track is NOT EX encoded.

I haven't went right up and looked to see if there is a smaller flag showing if the actual flag came up. Getting old - too far to squint.

Whatever, the manual seems to indicate for the DD tracks DD-EX will work but one may not like the sound effects. I haven't found that to be true so far. The sound effects are great even with a normal DD encoded DVD.

Mike

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Mine shows up on every DD movie even the ones not in DD-EX. when I have all seven speakers going.
With the Pioneer Elite receivers, the display will read DD-EX for all DD5.1 soundtracks if you have your receiver forced to 6/7 speakers instead of "auto" select mode. With "auto" mode, the receiver will switch to EX/ES mode only when it detects a flag set on the disc. However, as mentioned above, hardly any DD-EX tracks are properly flagged in software, so the only way to engage the rear center speakers is by forcing the receiver to 6/7 speaker mode.
Auto mode does work as designed for DTS ES soundtracks, since the software is properly flagged. It's too bad that this has not been done properly for Dolby tracks.
I just leave my 47TX forced to 7 speaker mode at all times. It seems to improve even standard 5.1 soundtracks.

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the correction Scott.............I haven't tried it like that.........so many little things about this IMHO awesome machine.

Mike

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i think you guys are confusing "flags" with "rear speaker" lights.
well, when i play 'seven' using dts es 6.1, even though i only have 5.1 (actually 5.0) set up, the rear surround speaker light in the display shows up, as does the dts es light. so it appears that the signal is being decoded and amplified, then goes to my speaker outputs, even though the rear center channel has no load on it. so by that rationale, the dolby digital ex on the same disc should do the same thing, WITH the DD ex light, but it doesnt. i believe daniel is correct, that the disc's DD track is improperly labeled.

CJ

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
so by that rationale, the dolby digital ex on the same disc should do the same thing, WITH the DD ex light, but it doesnt.
As stated in several posts above, that is because hardly any DD-EX tracks use the software flags. Without the flags, your receiver has no way of knowing that the soundtrack is DD-EX. You must force the receiver into 7 speaker mode (instead of auto) to hear the rear center channel. The DTS-ES tracks are properly flagged, so the receiver does indicate that it is decoding an ES soundtrack.

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
This receiver has a virtual surround back mode that you have probably activiated.. There's a button at the bottom of the remote SB Mode. Check it out and see if it affects the flags.

Mike

jaydee

Stunt Coordinator
I assume this is the same for actual output of Audio through the speakers when programmg the DVD to output DTS 6.1. When I do this, I don't get any sound out of the speakers until I go back and turn off the DTS and switch to DD. DVD is S-Video out and optical-audio out to my 45. I assume if I force the non existant rear surrounds "on", I'll get sound on DTS setting?

DanielSmi

Second Unit
Jaydee, your post is a little confusing. Are you saying that when you select any DTS soundtrack that you get no sound from your speakers? if so is your receivers DTS light coming on, do you have DTS output from your dvd player enabled in the DVD player's menu (not the movie). Or are you saying that when you select a 6.1 soundtrack that you aren't getting sound out of you rear speakers? Do you have rear surround speaker(s)? If you don't the 45Tx should just downmix the 6.1 soundtrack into 5.1.

Daniel Smith

jaydee

Stunt Coordinator
Daniel Smith:

I started a new thread on this. Hope I answered your questions on the new thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks