What's new

VSX-1014 or 1905 for Athena System (1 Viewer)

Bejoy

Stunt Coordinator
Hi

I just bought Athena AS-F2 and is in the process of getting AS-B2 and AS-C1 to complete the system and has PB10 on order.

I have been reading up on the receivers around the $500 range and has shortlisted Pioneer VSX-1014 and Denon 1905, but haven't heard either of them. What would be a better fit for the above set of speakers which I would use 60/40 for HT/Music?

Also, any recommendations for places to buy it from?

Bejoy

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
either one will be a fine receiver. you may have to end up choosing on features. personally, i'd try the pioneer. i've heard it sounds nice.

Yung

Stunt Coordinator
It really depends on what kind of sound you like and the features you are looking for. I have not heard the lower end Denon AVRs, but I heard the AVR-2805 & the VSX-1014TX in the same room through some Polk RTi8's. The 2805 seemed brighter sounding and more detailed on the high end while the 1014TX (which I have) seemed louder and warmer.

I have not heard the AS-F2, but I have heard the AS-B1 and AS-B2 at Bestbuy. These are nice speakers for the price but seemed a bit forward to me. The Pioneer might make a good combination with these speakers.

I got mine from OneCall, which is an authorized Pioneer internet dealer. There are other places to get it, but if you are buying additional speakers, I believe Onecall has $25 off a $500 purchase now through Nov. 5th, so its just a thought that you can pick up your additional speakers while you get your receiver and save some money too.

eryn shannon

Stunt Coordinator
In my opinion pioneer receivers are an excellent match for athena speakers. I have as-f1's and had previously had them matched up with a pioneer 812 and it sounded pretty good, a tad on the bright side for me though. I just recently hooked up my new elite 56txi, now I would describe the sound from the athenas as warm with a smooth top end. From what I have read the 1014 sounds very similar to the elite line of receivers. To me the athenas are a bright sounding speaker that are tamed by the pioneer. If you would like a warmer sound from the athenas go for the pioneer. Although I haven't heard the denon with athenas it is also a very good receiver and should also sound great, maybe a bit more detailed. You really have to go out and listen to both.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Bejoy,

In addition to what the others have stated, the Pioneer will have the option of the equalizer. You might find out that you really like the automatic adjustments that are made to the sound via the setup process where the EQ is involved. I know with my Pioneer, I really love what it has done.

Of course, it's not without saying that the 5760 isn't a fine receiver, but rather, the 1014TX is a few months newer and offers some more features over the 5760; however, at a street price of approximately $100 more than the 5760.

Joe Mihok

Second Unit
Wayne - I think you replied in the wrong thread. This is the Pioneer vs Denon thread, not the Pioneer vs Yamaha one :).

I personally haven't heard the Pioneer vxs-1014 yet but I will this friday. I had the pleasure of owning a Denon-AVR1803 (until my cat urinated over the vent on sunday). The sound should be pretty close to that of the 1905. Through my Paradigm Monitor 7's, the Denon was very detailed but not as warm as I would have liked. It's all personal preference though. I'm gonna audition the Pioneer in a few days on some Athena's and I'll let you know what I think. I know the digms are fairly bright so the Athena's should be a good comparison for me as well. I'm also gonna uadition the Marantz SR5400 as well. It's in the same price point and I hear it's a very nice full/warm reciever too.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The Denon 1905 has no auto-calibration or room-eq. The 1014TX has full auto-calibration and room-eq. All other features should be comparable. The 1014TX is also a de-badged Pioneer Elite 52TX. The lower level Denons have been known for fairly mediocre true power output w/ all channels driven (around 30 - 40 watts per channel) while the Elites are known for much stronger amp sections.

I used to have a Denon 1803, then moved to a Elite 43TX which was a big step up. I then went to a 1014TX and feel that it's just as good in the amplification as the 43TX with even more great features. I would definitely go w/ the 1014TX, there doesn't seem to be anything better or close in the sub $700 price range.

Bejoy

Stunt Coordinator
Thnx for all the advises. I ordered a 1014 from Onecall. Now the waiting.......

Bejoy

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Joe, Thanks. That's what happens when you wake up at 2:00 in the morning and think you are awake enough to reply to some of the threads here. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks