vsx-1014 agaisnt vsx-1015?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Mike Thomass, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Mike Thomass

Mike Thomass Stunt Coordinator

whats the difference?
    i assumed the 1015 is the newer version, but im finding i can get the 1015 cheaper than the 1014?
    also, what does the -k suffix mean, as in 1015tx-k?
    thanks

2. JeffLab

JeffLab Stunt Coordinator

The -k at the end refers to the receivers color. In this case, the -k refers to black. -s would be silver.

The 1015 is this years model, and aside from thx certification, I believe the two models are identical (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

I recently purchased the vsx-1015-s, and now that I have it set up properly, I am really enjoying it.

3. ChrisCan

ChrisCan Agent

The 1015 has a few more features but they are basically the same.
    1015 has an extra component input, a few more surround modes, blue LED power light, more bandwidth for component pass through. they have the same power output even though the 1015 is rated 10WPC higher. 1015 is available in silver and black. They are both great receivers.

4. Mike Thomass

Mike Thomass Stunt Coordinator

thanks
    now can anybody think of a reason i can get the 15 cheaper than the 14?

5. Steve_L

Steve_L Stunt Coordinator

I've had both, because the 1014 got toasted by a lightning hit to the house. BB replaced it with a 1015.

No reason that one is priced different than the other, unless it's a different store or they bought them different. Given the choice, I'd go for the 1015 just based on the extra set of inputs. The power output is just a rating, they're the same boxes for the most part.

Great units, but watch out for them in situations where power hits are likely unplug the suckers.. they don't do well with lightning strikes. I will admit mine wasn't protected, but it also wasn't even turned on when it got fried.

6. Craig W

Craig W Second Unit

The 1015 has the capability of layering PL2X over a dts track for stereo rears. The 1014 does not have this. Is it a deal breaker? Probably not, but it will probably be easier to find the 1015 now since it is the current model.

The amp sections are identical. The 1015 is rated higher in the marketing material, but at a higher THD value. In the 1015 manual under the specs the amps are rated at the same wattage and THD as the 1014.

The only reason I can think of that you can get a 1015 less is that the when the 1014 was out it was highly regarded as a mid-priced receiver with a great feature set and fairly decent amp section. Some claimed it was the greatest invention since sliced bread due to its price-to-performance ratio. I would imagine since 1014 is hard to find and some are not aware of the 1015 that some retailers are trying to sell the 1014 at premium due to its past reputation.